Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3548 xl and ports broken

kuismsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello could you please help me.

we have several ports broken in cat 3548 xl ( fast 35,37,38,39) when we are trying to connect new workstations to them, ports do not work.

there is over 80 procent packet loss.

all other ports work ok.

Do you konw if there is a known problem in cat 3548xl's. ( could not find anything in bug toolkit)

our version is flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120-5.3.WC.1.bin

Model number: WS-C3548-XL-EN

System serial number: FAB0534M322

i thank you in advance,

best regards,

Susanna

8 Replies 8

Hello Susanna,

do you get any POST errors when you boot up the switch (you can check that with the exec command ´show post´) ?

When you say ´packet loss´ are you referring to counters in the ´show interface FastEthernet´ output, and if so, which counters are you seeing that are increasing ?

What do you have connected to the malfunctioning ports ?

Have a look at the document below, it contains comprehensive troubleshooting procedures for the 3500XL:

Troubleshooting Common Issues on the Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080125913.shtml

HTH,

GP

Hello thank you for the fast reply.

there are no errors in any port counters, normal ping loseses 80 % of the packet.

switch has been up for 39 weeks, mayby we will boot the switch and check the ports again. there were no post errors last time switch came up.

we had first a printer connected to the port, then we tested a normal laptop which works fine in our network., but when connected to the 'broken ports' the laptop loseses its network connection. link is up, but nothing works. this is not a speed/duplex problem. but could it be that somehow either receive or transmit signal ( in port) is the problem.

I cant get the page work you are referring

Best regards

Susanna

Susanna,

For that URL, if you remove the "partner/", then it will work. That is true of many of the links you find on NetPro. It happens when we access the page using a logged-in window. Try this link instead:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080125913.shtml

As for your problem, do ports F0/33, F0/34, and F0/40 work OK?

You say it is not a speed/duplex problem, but that is one of the first things I would look for. What makes you sure that it is not the problem?

Could you please post a show int? Maybe we can spot something in it;

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hello all and thank you for the replies !

i can now open the referred cisco-page. I will check the page

Here are anwers to all questions. we will boot the switch as soon as possible and see what happens.

do you know a good debug command what to use to see if port is acting wrong ?

i know it is not a duplex problem, since we have had a lot of duplex problems ( and this is a different case). All the other ports seem to work fine ( except for 35,37,38, 38)

laptop had only 10/100 nic and it works fine with another 3548 ( next to the 'faulty switch).

both the printer and laptop had same kind of problem.

Here are the tests

1) first the switch port and printer had auto config ( auto speed/auto duplex) in ports/ nic.

--> only 20 % of pings succeeded.

sometimes ping succeeded 10 times and then there was 30 fialed ping-packets.

2) then printers configuration was changed to 100/FD. the link started to work ( ping succeeded 100%) the switch had still auto speed and duplex, and therefore switch had only 100/HD.

when i changed switch port to 100/full, printer lost its network connection and did not answer at all to pings.

3 ) when i changed the switch port back to auto ( autospeed/auto duplex) the printer did not start to work again.

when swicth and laptop/printer were configure to auto, switch saw the port as 100/FD, negotiation was ok. as soon as data was going to the port, connection stopped working.

here is the show int . it is down, since we cant use the port at the moment. but as you can see there are no errors

BTW the printer and laptop work fine in the same switch in port 41.

best regards TIA ! Susanna

FastEthernet0/38 is down, line protocol is down

Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0007.5070.5d26 (bia 0007.5070.5d26

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 0 Kbit, DLY 0 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Auto-duplex , Auto Speed , 100BaseTX/FX

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input never, output 2d17h, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2d21h

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

12126 packets input, 2217643 bytes

Received 918 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 101 multicast

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

32145 packets output, 3533981 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 50 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Hello Susanna,

I have come across a similar problem with newer laptops with 10/100/1000 NICs, the 3548 ports only work when they are hardcoded to 100MB Full Duplex.

Do you have ´spanning-tree portfast´ configured on the ports where the laptop is connected to ?

If you post your email address, I can send you the document referred to in the previous post (I hope Cisco won´t kill me for that...).

Regards,

GP

Unfortunately ports do fail. The link posted above is a realy good one.

To truly see if the ports have "gone bad", reset the switch and then issue the "show post" command. During boot up each controller/port is looped and tested.

Also try and follow the EIA/TIA-568 wiring standards to the letter. Stray voltage, rack not grounded, etc can cause early failures.

Thank you for your reply !

Yes, we have the spanning tree portfast enabled in all access-ports.

Laptop has only 10/100 nic-card.

The funny thing is that same laptop/printer work fine in the same switch in another port and of cource in other switches.

I was able to go the the referred link. I will check if i see something relevant to our problem.

TIA

Best Regards,

Susanna

Hello !

We booted the switch and it lost all its configuration. It just stopped working. we had to change the switch.

Thank you for all

Best Rgds

Susanna