cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dos Boot Disk freezed when Connected to 3750 switch

mking
Level 1
Level 1

We have several boot disks that we've tried, (which just loads MS lanmanger stuff so we can get images down for Ghosting)

when they load the network programs, they freeze. However, if you stick a HUB inbetween the computer and the 3750, it doesn't freeze.

I've tried Portfast, I've tried no cdp. I've tried using a smart port and calling it a desktop.

Any thoughts?

5 Replies 5

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Does the Ghosting uses multicast by the way? Can you try disabling the igmp snooping on the switch? "no igmp snooping". If that works, enable "igmp snooping" again and enable the "igmp snooping querier" and see if that works.

Please rate helpful posts.

We haven't gotten to the ghost program yet.

It's still just loading the normal boot image stuff.

The keyboard (and the whole computer) just stops responding.

I don't have ready access to my bootdisk (another group maintains it) but I've replicated the problem with these ones:

http://www.netbootdisk.com/

and

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Universal-Network-Boot-Disk-Download-1314.html

and I've also attached an ISO copy of our boot disk.

It seems to freeze right after loading the network utilities. If I don't load Network Utilities it will work fine. We have replicated this problem on over 200 computers (We tried to ghost a lab the other day) and across several models of computer (Dell GX240's, Dell GX260's)

Here is the pertinate running config

spanning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default

spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter default

spanning-tree extend system-id

spanning-tree uplinkfast

!

vlan internal allocation policy ascending

!

vlan 1050

name ACCESS_VLAN-1050

!

vlan 1056

name VOICE_VLAN

!

vlan 1063

name MGT_VLAN

!

vlan 3048

name AUTH_VLAN

!

interface FastEthernet1/0/1

switchport access vlan 1050

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree guard root

!

You might want to try taking a sniffer capture of when there is a hub (which is a working scenario) and when thre is no hub (non-working scenario). See what packets are missing or what is it that is not coming back to the PC that causes it to freeze.

I didn't see anything different.

Here's three captures.

superbootdisk is the orginal

sbdwithahub is the same setup, plus a hub

cdp packet is after I disabled CDP on the port. (The only packet I saw different was CDP from the Hub port)

Machine in question MAC address is:

00:06:5b:26:62:47

Anyone got any idea's?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card