cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicate IP

cto_securelogic
Level 1
Level 1

The same IP address was accidently assigned to two switches. Is there a way to break into one of these switches in order to reset the IP address remotely?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would think even with dup ip's you would be able to get into one of them and you could just change the one you could get into and that would free the other one up .

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

If you can shutdown network connectivity to the management interface on one of them for a couple mins (time for CAM tables to flush) you should then be able to chagne the IP in the other one...

If management is on VLAN 1 and it's in a trunk to that switch, just clear the VLAN from the trunk, change the IP on the other switch and then set trunk 1 on the original uplink...

-Bo

Thanks for the replies.

What I ended up doing was typing up the config changes (including the passwords) in Notepad and cut/pasted to the switch. When I tried entering the config change by hand the connection would get dropped before I could type the first letter. I'm not sure why my initial connection was getting dropped, unless the mac table was updated with the other mac address while I was IP'ed in the switch. Anyone know for sure?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card