Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

PS Examine the following attachment(config+diagram);what could be the Eigrp config from the CORE Side.what network should i advertised?what about the passive interface?

13 Replies 13

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

can some one help here.

10xs

Hi

The point to point link between the sites(ds1 ds2 c1 c2 c3 c4) and the core its:192.168.1.0/30

10xs

hi ali...

will you specify your requirement...? because its all about your need...which route to be adverites and which interface you want to be passive...?

so just explain your need...

regards

Devang

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

what networks would you like to advertise through/from the core?

do you have any restrictions on eigrp updates?

only create a passive interface if you do not want that interface to participate in eigrp forwarding.

Hi Gpulos!

PS Could u please check the attachment for more information.i sent summary from each dstribution(site) to the core.now i want to configure from the core side i'm confused a little bit.

10xs

Hi Devang

Hi Gpulos

router EIGRP 100

Network 10.3.0.0 0.0.255.255

Network 10.4.0.0 0.0.255.255

Network 10.20.0.0 0.0.255.255

Network 10.30.0.0 0.0.255.255

Network 10.60.0.0 0.0.255.255

Connected interface(point-to-point)(5 sites(DSITs)

Network 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.3

No Auto-sumary

Now what would be the config for the passive interface?

EX:

Passive interface default

no Passive interface port-channel 1(to ds1)

no Passive interface port-channel 2 (to ds2)

no Passive interface port-channel 3 (to ds3)

no Passive interface port-channel 4 (to ds4)

no Passive interface port-channel 5 (to ds5)

10xs for ur help

hi ali...

your configuration looks like perfect but can you tell me why you want to go for passive interface?

because passive interface configuration will only receive the update it willnot send the update to the neightbour which will destroy the adj with neighbour...its behaviour is different for different protocol look here:

passive interface for RIP and IGRP listen for routing updates but prevents the sending of routing update...but in OSPF and EIGRP effectively disable the protocol on that interface for sending and receiving as this protocols cannot operate with exchanging hello messages...

so dont look for configuring passive interface...

and other good thing you configure is no auto-summary...

please rate all post if it helps

regards

Devang

ohhh!

so i just need the passive interface only on the ds switchs not on the core?am i rights?

10xs

no ali... you cant... as i mension in previous post... eigrp will disable the protocol on the interface configured with passive interface so you will not have neighbourship through that interface it means you will lost your neighbor...

hope this will clear your idea

rate all helpfull post...

regards

Devang

and ali... you have redundant link to core through each DS... so you can have passive interface on one of the link interface... but it will create difficulty when that proper working link goes down then you will not have redundant link... as there is no any neighbour learn through that link due to passive interface configuration... and if you have two link to core then you can have loadbalancing also...so i dont think so passive interface will be helpfull to you ...

regards

Devang

rate this post if it helps

Hi

i used passive interface default then;no passive-interface gi0/1 to make the DS sw send eigrp packets only to the CORE nowhere else.

10xs

hi ali...

look at this link:http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t2/defint.htm

from this you can have clear idea for passive interface default...

remember to rate all helpfull post...

regards

Devang

Hi

I've rated all post's

10xs

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card