Views
Helpful
Replies

enable SNMP traps on 3640 IOS gateway

Sascha Monteiro
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I have a configuration question. I want to enable some snmp traps, but the Tech Note is not quite clear about this.

I have a 3640 gateway with 12.2(8)T IOS (IP PLUS)

I want to enable ISDN,DSP,VOICE and SNMP traps.

Do I need

config 1:

snmp-server host 10.10.11.6 public isdn dsp snmp voice //btw this command is Ambiguous with dsp in it!!!

snmp-server enable traps isdn

snmp-server enable traps dsp

snmp-server enable traps snmp

snmp-server enable traps voice

-------

or config 2:

snmp-server host 10.10.11.6 public

snmp-server enable traps isdn

snmp-server enable traps dsp

snmp-server enable traps snmp

snmp-server enable traps voice

//if I read the tech-note, I think all traps are sent to the host, not only the 4 enabled traps.

Can someone help me with this?

Regards,

Sascha Monteiro

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Thanks, but that is the tech-note I was talking about. So it is not quite clear for me what to do.

And I think it is a bug that I can't put the dsp in the host commandline, it is in the help though.

Regards,

Sascha

"The snmp-server host command is used in conjunction with the snmp-server enable command. Use the snmp-server enable command to specify which SNMP notifications are sent globally. For a host to receive most notifications, at least one snmp-server enable command and the snmp-server host command for that host must be enabled. " cited from the link above.

So both configs will work.

If you had more than one host to send traps to, you would enter 2(two) "snmp-server host" commands, and you could specify (in the same command) which ones of the traps (enabled with the "snmp-server enable" command) you would send to each host.

Am I clear?

So, if you just enter the "snmp-server host" command with no parameters it means it will send all enabled (enabled with the "snmp-server enable" command) traps to that host.

(I haven't tried but so states the documentation)

Thanks, but 1 sentence bothers me, quote:

"You should also specify the trap types if you don't want all traps to be sent. Then use multiple snmp-server enable traps commands, one for each of the trap types that you used in the snmp host command."

So If I read this I think that if I don't put parameters in the "snmp-server host" command, all traps are anabled, no matter what "snmp-server enable" commands I use.

Sorry for this, but I think the tech-note is vague.

Does anybody now if it is a bug that I can't put the dsp parameter in the "snmp-server host" command.

Regards,

Sascha

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card