Views
Helpful
Replies

Error attempting to upgrade 3550 with RME 3.5

rickellis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Attempting to upgrade a 3550 switch using RME 3.5 (IDU9) and get the following error:

=============================

Error Info Code: '4175'

Message: 'Device Error: Flash copy to/from operation failed.'

Action/Reason:

'Probable Cause: The source file size and the destination file size do notmatch. Disk space on tftp root directory may not be sufficient.

Recommended Action: Verify disk space in the TFTP directory and retry the operation.

===============================

I have lots of room in the TFTP root on Ciscoworks (45GB) and I know that the job is working because it deletes the old IOS completely it just won't transfer the image over. I have plenty of room on the 3550 (15mb) for the 4mb incoming IOS image.The switch runs 12.1.20 EMI attempting to upgrade to 12.1.22 EMI.If I perform the same operation manually it works fine. Any ideas?

thanks,

Rick

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

First turn on the SWIM debug under RME->Administration->Software Management->Edit Preferences. Check the box for 'Turn debugging on'. Then click Finish. Then run the SWIM job again. Once it fails, goto RME->Software Management->Job Management->Mail or Copy Log File. Select the log files and save them to a location. Then look at these log files which should tell exactly where/why the SWIM job is failing. Make sure that your turn off the Debug flag once done.

Hi,

I've enabled the debug steps and I see that the TFTP transfer starts and times out as follows:

====================

Loading px_sw_12141_7092 from 10.254.64.2 (via Vlan64): !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..O. [timed out]

%Error reading tftp://10.254.64.2/px_sw_12141_7092 (Timed out)

====================

I've set the exec timeout on vty as:

line vty 0 4

exec-timeout 0 0

line vty 5 15

exec-timeout 0 0

I've actually put the switch in question on the same segment as the Ciscoworks server to eliminate any possible issues like ACL's or WAN link speeds.

Any help appreciated.

thanks,

Rick

Is the "cwcs tftp service" running? Try do "copy tftp flash" from the device thru CLI, see if tftp is successful.

I had a second look on your post and realize you have already done what I said. I have a few more thoughts as this sounds too odd.

- image integrity

Check the file size of "px_sw_12141_7092" under tftpboo t directory. It might be a corrupted image. Chances are image got tftped over, but failed on final checksum

- RME delete px_sw_12141_7092 file before tftp is done.

So you need to watch tftpboot directory frequently during upgrade process

I checked the image under tftpbootdirectory. The folder is empty aside from a readme stating to keep the directory. I tried another upgrade and saw that the entire IOS image gets copied into the tftpbootdirectory (the image size looks right) and simultaneously did a dir listing on the 3550 being upgraded. I saw about 1/2 mb of the image on the switch (so I know it's trying), then it just stopped. I re-checked the tftpbootdirectory and the IOS image was gone (presumably this happens when the transfer fails or is a normal occurence with upgrades I'm not sure). Overall the TFTP is working it just times out for whatever reason at about 1/2 mb. I have 15mb free flash so that shouldn't be an issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card