cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

etherchannel with Passport 8610

ttuncaral
Level 1
Level 1

doea anyone have any experience etherchannel trunking Cisco Catalysts with Nortel Passport 8610?

I created an etherchannel trunk between a 2950 and a Passport 8610 thru GigE interfaces. Port channel becomes UP but after 30-40 seconds it goes down with err-disabled state.

any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

frenzeus
Level 4
Level 4

Have not try before, but if ur nortel switch supports IEEE 802.3ad LACP Etherchannel, try configuring the same for your 2950 switch.

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

HI,

There are many reasons why link goes into errdiable state and as you have a etherchannel configured between the 2 switches and it is going into errdiable state it could be due to mis configuration of etherchannel.

It is better to configure errdisable recovery.

errdisable recovery {cause {all | bpduguard | channel-misconfig | dhcp-rate-limit | dtp-flap | gbic-invalid | link-flap | loopback | pagp-flap | psecure-violation | udld}} | {interval interval}

Here you go with the link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12119ea1/2950cr/cli1.htm#2946661

HTH

Ankur

alfredshum
Level 1
Level 1

You'll have to use this in the interface configuration:

channel-group mode on

The "mode on" is the key word since in older version of Passport, it doesn't support LACP.

The only working LACP option between those switches is MODE ON on catalyst side. Other two options do not work. I want to find why the etherchannel became up and after a short period of time went down. I also work with Nortel tech support in order to find the possible cause on Passport side. Thanks for your help. If I could find an answer, I will post a note by this way.

finally, this problem was closed by this way.

This is having some specific configuration steps on both sides. Passport configuration must be done first and Cisco later. Link must not be connected until whole config has been completed.

STP must be disabled on Cisco ports because of proprietary BPDU sending mechanism.

Thanks again who helped and provide information for us.

regards