Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP Connection Problem

arthurjjjc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have problem connecting to our unix server.

Problem: When I run ftp on our unix server this error i got "Connection Closed by Remote Host".

Scenario: We installed router from Head Office to our warehouse via leased line connection. In order for our Unix server can be used the IP address of the router going to our warehouse and put as the gateway of our unix server.

Now our main office have local area network which having problem via ftp connecting to our unix server. We try to remove the gateway of our unix server and we can successfully connect via ftp to our unix server.

Can you help on how we can solve this problem and in any case is it possible for an unix server to have more than one network interface cards?

Since I am not famillar with unix an idea on how i can add additional network interface card on our unix server?

Please advise on this..

Thank you very much..

Arthur

12 Replies 12

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Toggle to / from "passive" ftp mode (PASSV).

Some systems can handle both, some have problems with one mode or the other.

It's usually more of a firewall issue, but results can vary. depending on which FTP server you are using.

Unix / Linux servers can easily handle multiple interfaces, optionally with different parameters on each, as needed, for security or accessability.

To provide specific information, we need to know what the platform is (Sparc, HP, AIX, PC w/ Solaris, XXXXX Linux, etc), and which FTP server application you are running (WUFTP is very common, but there are other very popular servers available).

Good Luck

Scott

Hi,

Thanks for the info,

Please tell me what do you mean by Toggle to/from"passive" ftp mode? Please tell me how to configure it..

Btw we use AIX platform but i don't know what ftp server application was used. How can i know the version?

Please let me know asap thanks again...

Hi Scot,

Can you elaborate for passive ftp mode and how to do it..I use the AIX/Unix Platform as my server..

Please advise thanks....

Can anyone help me on this problem..

Just a quick note: Passive ftp allows both the client and the server to create connection to each other. Firewalls don't like this and some clients/servers do not support passive ftp modes.

This is what I do on the router:

config t

ip ftp username myuserID

ip ftp password myuseridpassword

no ip ftp passive

end

then we do the: copy ftp flash

If the passive mode is a problem sometimes we get timeout errors or locks up. Depends on the platform.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Is any can give me the solution for this problem anyway i already include the information that you need.

Platform: AIX Unix Server version 4.0

FTP Server: WUFTP

Please give me feedback on this thank you...

If you add the default gateway to the AIX server, does the FTP work ok to the warehouse? Or does it just stop the main office FTPs working?

It may simply be a routing problem. You may have to add a route to the device (or network) in the warehouse.

Also, check that the user that you are trying to FTP from is not being blocked in the /etc/ftpusers file.

It might also be worth having a look at the comp.unix.aix newsgroup. There are references to WU-FTP in there as well.

Pete

Hi Pete,

No it does not work either on our warehouse and we got the same error.This erros is also encountered "connection closed by remote host".

As for the routing problem that you stated i try this option to a machine copying the same settings but this time it is a Windows2000 Server (ftp server) and it works fine..with the same settings for ip address the same with our unix server.

Is there any solution for this or are there special configuration needed for the unix server in order to run the ftp?

Note: Only a single machine can connect to our unix ftp server other than that none...

Thanks..

Arthur

I haven't used WUFTP, so I don't know much about that. If the Win2K server runs ftp ok, then the routing would seem to be correct.

AIX usually has its own FTP daemon, which is what I normally use. If you run the command "ps -ef" and have a look for the ftpd process, it could also be that the two processes are clashing. Is the ftpd process running?

Do you get the "connection closed by remote host" message as soon as you connect using ftp or after you have entered the username and password?

Pete

I get the error "connection closed by remote host" as soon as i connect via ftp. I did not arrive to the username and password.

Please advise me on this..

Thanks..

Did you check if the AIX FTP daemon is running?

Do "ps -ef" and look for ftpd, or do "ps -ef | grep ftp" - this should filter out any processes that have the letters "ftp" in their name and display only those processes.

Pete

Hi pete,

ftp daemon is running bec. one of our machine can connect via ftp..

I was just talking to one of our AIX guys - he said he had to stop the ftpd running to get WUFTP working.

Pete