Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway Question

js358
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

Is it possible to have 2 gateway on a single subnet? I would like to split my network traffic off onto 2 seperate T1's. I want to run users and mail through one and web and ftp through another. Not sure how the routing would look like.

I can be more specific with configs etc if necessary, Just trying to find out right now if this is doable.

3 Replies 3

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

I believe you would still want to keep each T1 as a backup for the other? In case both T1s are terminating on the same router you do not have to have two gateways on the same subnet. You can do policy routing on your router to send all web and ftp traffic through one T1 and remaining traffic through the other T1. You can configure this policy routing to track your next hop before applying the policy so that in case the T1 goes down you do not lose connectivity. Is this what you are trying to achieve?

Problem is....one of the T's is a RF line - which is just an ethernet drop. ISP controls the router. The other line terminates on a 1720 here in our NOC. So, the RF line will terminate at our firewall. The other T1 at the 1720. Both running through the firewall and that is where some of the routing will take place. It's a Sonciwall and has limited routing capabilities.

I am assuming your users are on an inside segment with the sonicwall configured as their default gateway? The 1720 and the other ethernet link (RF T1) connect to a switch to which the outside interface of the sonicwall is connected? If that is the case then policy routing can still be configured on the 1720.

Let me know if the connectivity is like what i am assuming it is and if not then kindly explain the setup and on which subnet (and device) you are trying to configure two default gateways.