Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP on 2 3550's not working, HELP please

existhosting
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am attempting to run and test HSRP but there seems to be some errors.

My first switch is a Catalyst 3550 - 48 Port with SMI image

My second switch is a Catalyst 3550 - 48 Port with EMI image.

I configured HSRP on Vlan12 to try and see if my second switch will take over once I pull the cable out of the first one but it seems like it doesn't.

In the "show standby" command, the second switch shows as "Active router" because I gave it higher priority and it sees the neighbor switch which shows as standby router, so hsrp sees both the switches, knows which one is active and which one is standby but yet when I pull the plug on the first one, network is down, as if it did not revert to the second switch.

My cabling is as follows.

First switch has the first GIG (over fiber) uplink to my provider, the second GIG port is connected to the second gig port on the second switch over fiber as well. The first gig port of the second switch is NOT connected to anything as I only have one provider.

The two ports communicate since hsrp seems the neighbor switches.

The two are configured like this 10.0.0.1 s virtual gateway. 10.0.0.2 is the address of first switch. 10.0.0.3 is address of second switch (backup one). Those IP's are on a MANAGEMENT VLAN which I gave as VLAN ID 100

Now for the VLAN12 I am testing HSRP on, it has VALID INTERNET IP's and not local internal IP's.

Once again, the virtual IP finishes with 225, and I configured 226 as IP on switch1, 227 as IP on switch2.

I am NOT using the track option as I am not sure what it does, I only use the standby priority and preempt options.

So to put it in brief, I am trying to make VLAN12 work with HSRP so that all traffic from VLAN 12 enters switch 1 (from the provider uplink) goes to switch2 since I set vlan12 with higher priority (hsrp) on switch2 goes to the servers, then comes back to switch2, routes to switch1 (since it has to uplink to provider) and out to the internet.

I hope my formatting is not very bad and pretty much understandable.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and why is hsrp not working for me?

PS: I am suspecting the routing is not done well between one switch and the other so they cannot communicate the traffic, but I am not sure

Please help me

Thank You

75 Replies 75

1) You can download the latest ver of the same main release as your current switches, i.e. 12.2 -> 12.2, 12.1 -> 12.1.

You have to check the release note of those IOS to determine the supported features, I can't tell which one is fit for you. Just as you said you are using SMI, so upgrade to EMI will enjoy more features, but you have to check it yourself.

2) As stated in Q1, please check the release note, it tells you the supported features. You have to learn to search the available information from Cisco. Because it is faster to wait for others to feedback. And I am also just search the web and tell you. Please check it yourself.

3) It is always recommended to backup the config., no matter the vendor tell you it won';t lose the config. during upgrade. I suggest not to upgrade any equipment under production and office hour. Please arrange a schedule to do it and works w/ your operation department to detemine the available downtime. Downtime will include backup, upgrade, testing and fall-back (if the upgrade fails). I can't recommend the lenght of downtime, you need to plan it by your situation. If you can carry a poilot upgrade before actual upgrade then you will have the idea.

You can also check Cisco web that it will tell you how to upgrade the IOS.

4) It is the same that I can't tell which one is the best, only the one is running smoothly and stable then it will be fine. But I did not carry any test. You can ask your Cisco equipment provider for their comment.

Hope this clarify.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card