cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intel and Catalyst switches slow negotiating

jschroer
Level 1
Level 1

We have these new IBM laptops that have the Intel 1000Pro gig cards. When we connect them to any of out catalyst switches (4006 or 2980) it takes about 15 seconds to negotiate something. But when I connect it to a cheep SMC switch it does it in about 5 seconds. I've seen this problem on some of out Dell desktops that have the Intel gig card in them also. I've tried to set to 100mb full duplex and it still takes long. We have HP desktops that have brodcom cards in them that work great. What could be wrong?

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure all client ports on the 4006 and 2980 have spanning tree portfast turned on . Issue the set port host command on each user port .

The port reads Port-State: Forwarding and Portfast: Enable. And still 15 or more seconds to initialize.

When you set the Intel card to 100/full did you set the switch to 100/full as well or did you leave it at the default autonegotiate? Is the switch logging anything on those ports other than the link connected and link disconnected messages? Is the delay reflected in the link connected messages, ie. are you getting the link connected message on the switch 15 seconds after the NIC is enabled or connected?

I tried to set one side and both sides to the same and it didn't help. I'm not quite sure how to check to see if the port is longging anything. The delay is showing up in two different ways. When I boot up and log in as soon as I get a log in screen the network icons won't show up for about 30 seconds or so and it won't pick up my roaming profile nor will it run my log in script. The second place is if I disconnect the cable and connect it again XP shows that the network is trying to aquire an network address (even if I give it a static IP) and I'm not able to ping anything until that goes away.

Not applicable

OKAY not sure why this happen but when I was messing around with the port I cleared it and it disabled portfast. So I enabled portfast again and now it's working a million times better. Now if I can just figure out the problem with CSA. :<