cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Administratively Down

usmany
Level 1
Level 1

how can i bring up an interface that says "line protocol and interface administratively down". what could be the probably course of it going down?

4 Replies 4

dbellazetin
Level 4
Level 4

administratively down (disabled) is the default status on an interface on routers. You can enable them with the "no shut" command in interface configuration mode.

Daniel

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are a couple of things that can result in an interface being administratively down. If you have a new router without a config, and do not go through the initial config dialog, the interfaces will be administratively down until you manually start them by entering no shutdown in interface config mode.

The most common reason for an interface being administratively down is that someone has entered the shutdown command in interface config mode.

I have seen a couple of instances where an interface was up and encountered some problem while operating and wound up in the administratively down state. But this is very uncommon.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The system was working fine and no one shutdown the interface administratively and no card is been installed newly on the router, JUST POWER PROBLEM OR LIGHTENNING/TUNDER as i was told when it was rainning and thats all.

I suspected the ser int is gone due to the lightenning that strucked it...

I have used (no shutdown) and the (wr) to save the setting and reload the router and still when its came up its light just showed once but still not working and still says ser int down.

I will try and see if I can source another ser int card and see if it will work.

Thanks guys

When an interface shows administratively down it means that if you look at the configuration you will see a line that says "shut". Just go into config t and the interface and do a "no shut" this should bring the interface administratively up. If it's still down after that there may be a problem with the link configuration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card