Views
Helpful
Replies

Large Enterprise Switch vs. Several Smaller Switches

rpryomski
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my question:

What advantages are presented with purchasing one large enterprise switch (like a CAT 6509) vs several smaller switches (like CAT 2950's)

I don't want to get into specific models too much here. But I'm basicly trying to understand what advantages are achieved.

The smaller switches would be in a hub and spoke config (1 Gb connections) with a centeral switch being supporting the 1 Gb connections.

There is obviously a significant cost difference, that being the lager switch is more exspensive.

What does this buy me?

I'd imagine I'm not the only one who has run into this debate. If the cost is lower and you can get reasonable performance, why not go with several smaller switches?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

boban
Level 1
Level 1

One config, one item on CCO contract, one place to look for any errors or networking problems, upgradabiliy(fiber, sup720, gigE), layer 3 switching, IOS, redundancy (PS and Sup's at least), can be a router or router standby...

There must be more I just can't think of them now.

And single point of failure, no time for maintenance (all servers connected to one device), high price, limited scalability, etc,... on the other hand.

The choice always depends on your needs, budget and topology.

Regards,

Milan

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

This is a "depend on" question / answer.

If your network environment requires a high speed backbone for attach SAN devices and you use Internet a lot in your company. You may need a Cat6500 series to support it. If you have a midlle size comapny and you have few servers (200-300) you use a Cat4500. If you have a small comapny and between 100-200 servers you may use a Cat3750-Stack - which will also gives you flexibility. All this for concentration point. You may also plan a redundant backbone (fail over option). From there you may have cat2900 or cat3500 to have users connections.

I hope it helps you.

Regards

Gilson Machado

Network Engineer

Don't forget that the 6500 can have an IDS, Firewall and VPN blades all housed in one neat chassis. The modules make the difference for me.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html