Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring the traffic

I have a non cisco switch, on which I am mirroring the traffic from port 24 to port 23. Port 24 is the source and port 23 is the destination. I have checked by connecting sniffer to this port and it is working fine. Now starts the funny part. One of my client has a 6500 with NAM module and he wants to monitor the traffic coming from port 24. What I have done is as follows : Since the port 23 on the non Cisco switch is getting all the traffic which were mirrored from port 24, I have connected the port 23 to Switch port 4/1 on the 6500. On switch 6500, I have created span session using 4/1 as the source port and destination as the NAM module. But it doesnt seem to work. Any ideas. I tried connecting my PC to a port and tried mirroring port 4/1 to my pc's port, but no response. So it is not a problem with NAM config, but something else.

Please help...

3 Replies 3

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rakesh,

I am not sure if non cisco switch supports RSPAN(Remote SPAN) technology or not. But if it supports the best option was to create a reflector port on non cisco switch and configure trunk between non cisco switch and cisco switch. And then Cisco NAM module will definetely work where you can capture your traffic.

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi rakesh,

In this case, for trial purpose try connecting your sniffer PC to port 4/1 on 6500 and try to capture the packets.

Do not make any source port on 6500, and make 4/1 as destination port and check if it is capturing the packets or not. I assume that non-csico switch is acting like a hub.

kindly update.

regards

Aashish C

The non cisco switch is connected to port 4/1 of the 6500. So Cisco 6500 port 4/1 is the source port and 4/2 is the sniffer port, which will be the destination port. You mentioned not to make a source port. How will that work.