Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Configuration on Cisco 6509

anand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could any one let me know the how to configure Multicasting on Cisco 6509 switch, i hav Sup2 with MSFC card. i wanted the full configuration on that Mulitcasting service. Thanks in Advance.

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are some decisions that must be made before anyone can know how to configure multicast on your 6509. This especially is the question of whether you will operate in dense mode, sparse mode, or sparse-dense mode. And if you will operate in either sparse or sparse-dense mode there is a decision about how to identify the RP. Once you can tell us these aspects of your network we would be able to give you better advice about how to configure multicast in a way that will work for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

thanks for the reply, i am going to configure multicast on "sparse-dense mode" so please let me about the configuration.

Start with the global configuration command ip multicast-routing. Then on each interface on which you want to do multicast enter the command ip pim sparse-dense. You also should define the RP using these commands ip pim send-rp-announce (in this command you have options to specify the source address, to limit the scope of advertisements, and to limit the groups for which it will serve as RP) and the command ip pim send-rp-discovery. If there is more than one device in the network processing multicast then you would need to decide which device would be more appropriate as the RP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Richard,

i need your help plz 

Can you be more specific about what help you need?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

i have 3 cisco 6509 and i need to let them pass the multi cast traffic but i dont know why its not working 

first of all my topology like the following

IPTV connected to edge switches 3750x>>>>R1(Lan Distribution)>>>> R2(Lan Core) >>>> R3 (DMZ)>>>>> streamer ( IPTV server)

i enabled multicast routing between all the L3 routers and i did all the followng command as the following

ip multicast routing

ip pim sparse-dense mode ...... for each interface 

i make R3 as a RP and R2 as a mapping agents 

why i can not receive any streaming!!

my streamer in vlan 83 and i configured another vlan 96 on R3 and i can watch the channels while i connect my lap top to vlan 93 

what should i do to clear this issue ?