cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Static routes to one location

larrys
Level 1
Level 1

If a router has two links with different bandwidths terminating on the same destination router and configured with static routes. At what stage if the primary link fails will the traffic be routed over the second link.

I would be interestedt in a configuration or information matching this criteria or any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Larry_s

8 Replies 8

brianprice
Level 1
Level 1

If the destination router is the same and the links have two separate interface addresses you can simply add the "distance metric" to insure the primary and secondary order are followed. The static route statement will look similar to:

ip route 10.25.25.25 255.255.255.255 10.50.50.5 200

This would be used only for the secondary link path.

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

As the prior post indicated, you need to weight static routes with administrative distance before one will be preferred over another (static routes don't consider link bandwidth).

As for failover, the primary static route will be removed from the routing table when the link it points to changes state to 'down'. "Points to" in this case refers to either the referenced interface in a route like "ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 eth0" (ethernet0) or the interface through which the next-hop is reachable in a route like "ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 2.2.2.1" (2.2.2.1 is the next-hop).

Many Thanks to all replies.

I believe you have confirmed my suspicions

Larry_s

lincolnp1
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend you to configure PPP Multilink. In this manner both links are utilised & if one fails traffic automatically is routed over one interface.

Lincoln

And how would one go about doing this? I have a similar situation but am a novice when dealing with Cisco routers. Would EIGRP be appropriate here? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rob

keep in mind that if you are running EIGRP all routers in the AS must be Cisco otherwise you will have redistribute into EIGRP from other protocols.

As far as load balancing you can LB across un-equal cost links. If possible i would suggest to go with a floating static route, but if the network is wide then implement an RP.

You can only load balance across two unequal cost links in one of three ways:

-- EIGRP

-- BGP bandwidth DMZ

-- MPLS/TE

:-)

Russ.W

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card