cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network subnet routing

itjackiewong
Level 1
Level 1

we wat design a campus network in our company, we want to our server room network is 10.5.1.x and user side subnet is 172.10.1.x , 173.10.1.x. I have a cisco 2950 switch, I want to know how setup in the switch with rotuing between three subnet network.

10 Replies 10

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Won't work because 2950 is a layer 2 only device, you need an external router to router between 10.5.1.x and user side subnet is 172.10.1.x. 2950, 255, 2960 and 2970 are all layer 2 only devices/switches. 3550/3560/3750 are what you call L3 capable switches and since they are L3 they can do inter-vlan routing.

Please rate all posts.

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

it is not allow to you work, because 2950 is L2 switch , if you want to still use this switch, in this case you required router , which connected to switch and make one port as trunk port and enable ISL cap on subinterface of the router.In this case it will work.

I hope , this will sovle the problem.

-minu

If I plan each subnet each switch, each switch connect to Cisco 1721 router with 4-ethernet port interface card,that we make cisco 1721 for routing.

If you have a router you can do the routing between the subnets (VLANs) on your cisco 1721.

With L2 switces and one router you can create a working environment.

Bye

FCS

Can you give the sample scripts to me for my reference.

you mean the subnet included on vlan , each switch with special vlan, each switch connect to 1721 router , in the router setup the routing between each vlan, right.

Hi!

I believe you mean to say that you would limit each subnet on one L2 switch and then connect each switch to the Cisco 1721 router. This is perfectly fine and would definitely work providing the routing on the L3 device is done perfectly. You can either go with static routing or use one of the routing protocols such as EIGRP or OSPF to use dynamic routing.

Use the following links to know more about routing -->

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_book09186a0080437e22.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

Hope this helps.

Please rate all helpful posts.

Regards,

AbhisheK NandawaT

But how config 1721 route between 3 more 2950 Layer2 switch , please advice the step.

Hi!

As I said earlier you can either use static routing in which you explicitly mention all the networks the router is connected to or you can use dynamic routing using routing protocols such as OSPF, EIGRP which discover on their own to which networks the router is connected.

If you are using your router only for intervlan routing. then static routing should suffice.

Refer the following links for knowing how to do Inter VLAN routing using a router -->

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/layer3/routing.htm#wp43662

Hope this helps.

Please rate all helpful posts.

Regards,

AbhisheK

You should set ip address for the three interface from the appropriate subnet: 10.5.1.1 (10.5.1.254)...These interfaces will be the default GW of the subnets. After this you should enable routing for these subnets.

I hope this will help.

FCS