cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NX-OS upgrade

Vishnu Reddy
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 nexus 7K switches one with nexus 7K version 5.2(7) and 2 nexus 7k version 5.2(9). Can I do the ISSU for these version to 6.2(10) which is cisco suggests as recommended version. I am not certain whether i have to upgrade to some other release train version before upgarding it to 6.2(10). We have 2 M1 line cards in each of those. Never done upgrades on those switches and what is the impact of upgrade on these switches while upgarding. Is there a way to revert back if faced with some issues like bios upgrade failure, or failure extracting software etc. I am going through the caveats with the new version before upgrading. And I don't see any major impacts related to configs we have in place.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome.

Your output above indicates you should reasonably expect the upgrade to go without problem.

I am not positive about the OTV, but non-disruptive ISSU should not require it be shutdown.

Both supervisors will be upgraded automatically as part of the ISSU process. This is noted in more detail in the NX-OS Guide here. The CMPs will need to be manually restarted to complete their upgrade. That is noted in Step 15 of the detailed procedure of the guide I linked.

Please mark your question as answered when it has been and take a moment to rate the replies.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't do a direct ISSU from the versions you listed to NX-OS 6.2(10). Please refer to the release notes section here that shows the supported ISSU paths.

Also please read about and consider the potential need for EPLD upgrades as described here.

Thanks for your reply. I also see that if I want to upgrade 6.2(10) I have to upgrade the memory to 8GB memory which seems not feasible. Currently 4GB is installed in nexus 7010 chassis. Would you suggest for a ISSU or disruptive upgrade? I am guessing 5.2(9) and 5.2(7) does have something to upgrade to 6.1(4) for ISSU to work based on the release note chart and also memory requirement suit to our needs as we are not utilizing more than 75% of memory currently for 4GB. Also looking at the caveats section I determined that we don't have fancy configurations not even vPC but just OTV which i believe if I understand I can shut the overlay interface in order to do the ISSU upgrade.

In the download sections cisco says Suggested with star in front meaning those are recommended ones or stable releases not sure. Can you explain me how that works?  I figured out that ELPD upgrades are disruptive. Also we haven't upgraded the chassis when we bought it so do i need to still upgrade to lastest ELPD.

6.1(5a) is shown suggested releases for system image and ELPD at the download section but when I look at the release note chart I have the option to install 6.1(4) system image which means is it viable or will it cause any issues.

We have 2 supervisor modules in each chassis SUP 1x and 2 M1 modules in each chassis.

Please suggest. I just want to be determined when i want to do the upgrade for sure.

The releases with the star are recommended based in large part on their stability and relative amount of known bugs.

If ISSU is supported for the upgrade you are doing, I recommend using that method. I still schedule a maintenance window and advise the customer / organization that down time may be possible just so you are covered in the event that something does not go well.

You can always open a TAC case proactively and ask them to advise formally for the supported upgrade path and recommended release given your local configuration.

Thank you for your response.

I executed the command:

# show install all impact kickstart bootflash:n7000-s1-kickstart.6.1.4.bin system bootflash:n7000-s1-dk9.6.1.4.bin

Verifying image bootflash:/n7000-s1-kickstart.6.1.4.bin for boot variable "kickstart".

[####################] 100% -- SUCCESS

Verifying image bootflash:/n7000-s1-dk9.6.1.4.bin for boot variable "system".

Verifying image type.

Extracting "lc-m1-n7k" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s1-dk9.6.1.4.bin.

Extracting "bios" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s1-dk9.6.1.4.bin.

Extracting "system" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s1-dk9.6.1.4.bin.

Extracting "kickstart" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s1-kickstart.6.1.4.bin.

Extracting "cmp" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s1-dk9.6.1.4.bin.

Extracting "cmp-bios" version from image bootflash:/n7000-s1-dk9.6.1.4.bin.

Performing module support checks.                                                                                                            [####################] 100% -- SUCCESS

Notifying services about system upgrade.                                                                                                     [####################] 100% -- SUCCESS

Compatibility check is done:

Module  bootable          Impact  Install-type  Reason

------  --------  --------------  ------------  ------

1       yes  non-disruptive       rolling

3       yes  non-disruptive       rolling

5       yes  non-disruptive         reset

6       yes  non-disruptive         reset

8       yes  non-disruptive       rolling

Images will be upgraded according to following table:

Module       Image                  Running-Version(pri:alt)           New-Version  Upg-Required

------  ----------  ----------------------------------------  --------------------  ------------

1   lc-m1-n7k                                    5.2(7)                6.1(4)           yes

1        bios    v1.10.17(04/25/11):  v1.10.17(04/25/11)    v1.10.17(04/25/11)            no

3   lc-m1-n7k                                    5.2(7)                6.1(4)           yes

3        bios    v1.10.17(04/25/11):  v1.10.17(04/25/11)    v1.10.17(04/25/11)            no

5      system                                    5.2(7)                6.1(4)           yes

5   kickstart                                    5.2(7)                6.1(4)           yes

5        bios     v3.22.0(02/20/10):  v3.22.0(02/20/10)     v3.22.0(02/20/10)            no

5         cmp                                    5.2(1)                6.1(1)           yes

5    cmp-bios                                  02.01.05              02.01.05            no

6      system                                    5.2(7)                6.1(4)           yes

6   kickstart                                    5.2(7)                6.1(4)           yes

6        bios     v3.22.0(02/20/10):  v3.22.0(02/20/10)     v3.22.0(02/20/10)            no

6         cmp                                    5.2(1)                6.1(1)           yes

6    cmp-bios                                  02.01.05              02.01.05            no

8   lc-m1-n7k                                    5.2(7)                6.1(4)           yes

8        bios    v1.10.17(04/25/11):  v1.10.17(04/25/11)    v1.10.17(04/25/11)            no

Does this mean that I won't have any issue during the actual upgrade?

Do I need the shut down the Overlay Interface for OTV VDC?

Also I am not sure whether I have execute install all for kickstart and system image for SUP1 and SUP2 on nexus 7010 chassis? If yes do I need to switchover to standby and do the install on standby and once upgraded switchover to other one and repeat the process again?

Do I have to restart the CMP manually or the upgrade will take care of this?

Please forgive if I sound stupid for the questions above since this is my first upgrade for production nexus switches.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You're welcome.

Your output above indicates you should reasonably expect the upgrade to go without problem.

I am not positive about the OTV, but non-disruptive ISSU should not require it be shutdown.

Both supervisors will be upgraded automatically as part of the ISSU process. This is noted in more detail in the NX-OS Guide here. The CMPs will need to be manually restarted to complete their upgrade. That is noted in Step 15 of the detailed procedure of the guide I linked.

Please mark your question as answered when it has been and take a moment to rate the replies.

Thanks for the reply.

It was really an ISSU as what cisco calls it. Updated the three Nexus core 7K switches with dual sups to 6.1(4) from 5.2(7). Updates for each went over almost 30 - 40 minutes. Didn't have to shutdown the OTV overlay interfaces while doing the upgrade and had kept the syslog server to view logs that way I know what was going on in the background. Hope now I can leverage the features available with this release.

Thanks again Marvin for providing insight into upgrade process.

You're welcome. I'm glad it went smoothly for you.

Please mark the question as answered.