cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF active standby link

prabino
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2 x 6500 capable of L3 switching. On switch A, 1 routed port running OSPF. On switchB, 1 routed port running OSPF also. Both Switches are connected to a single chassis F/W capable of running OSPF routing services. On both switches, i have a the same network segment & HSRP are enabled to provide redundancy. Switch A is set to be the Active standby. Both routed port are configured to run OSPF having cost of 10 for SwitchA & 100 for SwitchB. would it be possible to have both routed port of switchA & SwitchB running OSPF at the same time, switch A is the Active & Switch B is standby only, w/c will be activated once SwitchA routed port goes down. The F/W is not capable of running load sharing that's why we wanted to have the OSPF running Active & Standby mode only. thanks a lot

Perry

1 Reply 1

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

I can't able to understand your whole topology, but i guess the topology myself and I explained now. I think you can use OSPF and HSRP for making your switch as redundant only if your next hop is running OSPF.Otherwise better to use Static routing with cost configuration or two default routes with cost as 0 and 100 also works well. If you would like to go for load balancing then HSRP is not useful for you. For load balancing choose advanced routing in Cisco.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card