cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF DR Election process problem

neil.robinson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2600XM router acting as an OSPF DR. This holds 147 routes. 46 are Intra area routes and 101 are External type-1. The router is running IOS ver 12.2(8)T5 with 32mb DRAM. This peers with 8 neighbours.

Everytime I add static routes on a firewall running OSPF in the same area, the 2600 goes through an election process, then runs the SPF calculation.

The PIX firewall redistributes static routes into the OSPF AS which is part of area 0 (same as 2600).

Should this be happening? and is this router too small for the job it is trying to perform? Everytime this happens, it causes disruption to the network service.

If i look at the CPU history, I see it goes upto about 60% when this process happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

rwcrowe
Level 1
Level 1

Adding an OSPF should not cause a new DR election. Are you sure this only happens when the firewall distributes a route or when a new route in general is added to OSPF ? Adding a route only causes and LS update between neighbors. I think the problem might be related to the amount of DRAM in the 2600. I would definatly add 32mb more, for a total of 64mb.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card