Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping timeouts from 2621XM router to 2900 cat switch

I have this weird issue on the network where when I ping from router(2924XM IOS 12.2) to the 2900 switch management ip address (IOS 12.1) with 1500 bytes, I am getting timeouts. When I ping across the WAN to the management ip address of the switch it sucessful without any timeouts. I have no ACL or any security enabled on the router or the switch.

Has anyone see this type of issue before?

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

some switches won't allow 1500 byte pings , only like 1472 due to overhead . Have you tried like 1400 byte pings ?

I tried this already. Anthing over 121 byte pings I get a timeout. Weird!!!. Please let me know if you have any other suggestion.

Thanks,

Vimal

That is indeed strange. I cannot say why it is happening, but here is my train of thought:

I wonder whether 121 gives us a clue: perhaps 121 upwards fails and 120 is OK? So what would be 8 bytes long - the only thing I can think of is the ICMP header itself. (I presume the 120 is the payload, excluding the ICMP header.) That gives us a nice round 128 byes maximum payload on the IP packet - 148 including the IP header. 128 looks much more like a limit than 148. So it looks like an IP-layer fragmentation problem or MTU. Why should the IP layer be limiting its payload to 128 bytes? I don't know. It's like you had an X.25 link on the way, but I don't really believe that is it.

Sorry, I cannot solve it, but I hope the thoughts turn out to be useful.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

robphill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vimal,

Open up a case with Cisco TAC I seem to remember a bug regarding the 2900 XL series switches responding to ping sizes of certain sizes not working due to software.

Can't say we have ever seen this on any of our 2900XL's and we have a lot of them , the old 4 meg and the 8 meg boxes . you can try upgrading it if you have the license . Can you post the switch and router config minus any addresses ??? also you said the 2900 was 12.1 , as far as I know the 2900's never went above 12.0 .