Views
Helpful
Replies

possible STP problem?

bghobadi2
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings to all.

We have IBM Blade servers. In each Blade Server, there two Cisco Model number: OS-CIGESM-18TT-EBUa switches. The two switches share bake plane. They have 5 physical ports and 15 virtual ports. The switch lists 20 ports where ports 17-20 correspond to the 4 physical ports.

W have port channeled 4 physical ports, virtual 17-20, on each switch and we have port channeled 4 ports on the 6509. So we have connected each CIGESM-18TT-EBUa via

4 cables to 6509. The port channels are trunking and carrying VLAN1 and VLAN2

Configuration on CIGESM-18TT-EBUa

interface GigabitEthernet0/17

description blade1

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/18

description blade1

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/19

description blade1

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/20

description blade1

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

1. We had to upgrade the IOS on the CIGESM-18TT-EBUa switches. But, we did not want to rout TFTP. We decided make int Gig 0/17 access port. Int Gig 0/17 corresponds to the 1st physical port. We needed to connect a laptop to the port and transfer the new image to the CIGESM-18TT-EBUa switch.

2. As soon as Int Gig 0/17 was made an access port, all servers on VLAN1 on all the channel groups stopped functioning. We had to remove the other 3 cables from the switch so that the network stabilized.

I admit that we had to first down the corresponding channel-group on the 6509. We also have to remove our servers from VLAN1. My questions are:

1. Did STP develop?

2. Is the channel-group 1 mode on correct? Should it be set desirable? What are the pros and cons of on and desirable?

Please let me know if I need to provide output of any commands on the 6509 and CIGESM-18TT-EBUa switches.

Thank all in advance.

Bo

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Channle group 1 mode depends on what the other end is , i think generally consensus is to set both ends as desirable .

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

Here is what the channel-group modes mean:

Ports can form an EtherChannel when they are in different channel modes as long as the modes are compatible. For example:

A port in desirable mode can form an EtherChannel successfully with another port that is in desirable or auto mode.

A port in auto mode can form an EtherChannel with another port in desirable mode.

A port in auto mode cannot form an EtherChannel with another port that is also in auto mode, since neither port will initiate negotiation.

A port in on mode can form a channel only with a port in on mode, because ports in on mode do not exchange PAgP packets.

A port in off mode will not form a channel with any port.

Normally, if the other end does not support PaGP, then you want to use the on value.

You mentioned shutting down the channel-group - did you do that as part of troubleshooting once you realized the loss of server connectivity, or did you do that as the 1st step. If you did that 1st, then that is why the server connectivity was lost as shutting down the logical shutdown all phy interfaces.

Yes, I would remove your servers from vlan 1 since it is the default vlan, and more importantly if that is also your mgmt vlan. In the 1st case (default) there are security issues, in the 2nd (mgmt) too much end-station traffic can overwhelm the switch processing due to how the cat switches operate with regards to the native vlan.

It is possible to crate a mgmt vlan, and I would create one whose vlan is 1, unless there are switches that cannot change the mgmt vlan. In addition you do not have to have an msfc (routed) interface on the mgmt vlan. This can address your concern about doing maintenance via tftp that you do not want to have routed throughout the layer 3 environment. Just dedicate some ports for end-station access on the mgmt vlan, one for syslogging, one for AAA, and another for net mgmt (tftp, snmp, etc.) By not having an msfc or any other routed interface that vlan is not seen by stations in other vlans.

Let me know if this is of any help.

Thank you all.

Edward,

You helped me a lot about the TFTP routing issue.

Thanks a lot.

Bo

I am glad I was able to help, but I noticed that I did give one piece of bad advice:

I stated:

It is possible to crate a mgmt vlan, and I would create one whose vlan is 1, unless there are switches that cannot change the mgmt vlan.

What I should have said:

It is possible to crate a mgmt vlan, and I would create one whose vlan id IS NOT 1, unless there are switches that cannot change the mgmt vlan.