Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems printing following PAT

alalli2002
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

I have a 2600 router that I am running NAT on. (well PAT actually )

We access an Oracle server running on a SUN box on another network whose IP address space conflicts with our own. Thus, we need to run NAT between the two.l

We are translating the IP networks that access the server to the IP address of the cisco Ethernet port on the 2610 router.

The inside addresses which come in on the serial port are translated to the IP address of the ethernet port and sent out to the LAN segment. The SUN server is located on the same LAN segment as the Ethernet port.

My trouble is this...

If I NAT any of my printer addresses, we can no longer print to them from the SUN server.

I can see that the printers have been NATed.

I can ping the printers from the router and also do a trace route to them from the router.

As soon as we remove the printer's ip address from the NAT translation pool, we can then print to the printers again.

So we are left with the unlikeable option of using NAT for the PCs and nothing for the printers.

The router is happy for the moment.... everyone can print....

The trouble is.... if we need to access the DRP SUN server, we need to route inside that other network and then we come to the problem of overlapping IP address space.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

any suggestions?

regards

amanda

2 Replies 2

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

You should be able to initiate the print by configuring static IP addresses for the printers since there must be an existing NAT mapping for outside devices to initiate a session to an inside device. So you would need to use NAT, not PAT, and use multiple addresses.

Thank you very much mate.

I will have to wait until the weekend to try this out; but it really sounds like you have fixed this up.

I will be in touch...

regards

amanda

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card