cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS

djmlmco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a rather interesting setup that I need to find a solution for. Basically I have chosen to use CBWFQ for QoS. I have two routers, let's say E0 are the transport interfaces between the two for now. Although these interfaces are Ethernet they are being dumped to slow modems - operating at worst 9.6kbps.

Now I have 3 policy maps installed on the router that will be handling the traffic (I only need QoS one direction). The policy map is supposedly giving 35% to TCP on port 5000, 35% to UDP on port 6000 and 5% for everything else. I set the E0 interface to "bandwidth 10" because I cannot set it to the exact bps unfortunately.

So now the policy maps are working fine. But they seemingly are giving far more bandwidth than "bandwidth" is set to. Do I have to specify bps instead of percentages on these interfaces? I would rather not do that but if it came down to it could resort that direction.

Also, is there a better way to do QoS on these fast interfaces when they are actually traversing a slow link? Traffic shaping? I'm asking because it doesn't seem like my policy map queues ever populate.

Any advice is much appreciated!

1 Reply 1

jeff.bankston
Level 1
Level 1

I do it on our DSL connections by setting the bandwidth statement to the slowest speed that can be QOS'd, and then designing the queues to a specific bandwidth and using the max-reserved-bandwidth as well.

Let's say that you have 512k to qos - create your classifications according to your protocol preferences, then put them into class-map under your policy-map and set generic traffic shaping for that QOS rate. Remember to tally up your rates to not exceed the max bw.

-Jeff

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card