Views
Helpful
Replies

risco 3640 enable password recovery

usmany
Level 1
Level 1

guys,

i have problem with my above series of router... i was not in the office for days and when i came back i found out that i can ping my router through its ethernet0/0 where i assigned ip 192.168.1.1

i used my consol cable and used hyper terminal which i am able to get in to the router as its shows (router>) and i used (en) for enable to get to the global config which has password before and xxxxxxx. Now the problem started when i tried to use my password and is telling me (% No password set).

I tried to see if all cards are in the system and working by using (router>sh int) which gave me some of the int, eg, eth0/0 but administratively down and line protocal too down... ser0/0 up line protocol up.. fatseth0/0 down so as line protocol while my digital modems are not even saying anything, but when still in the system...

guys, how can i solve this problem, its urgent please...

My solution if right guys:

1. I should reset the password by using confreg 0x2142, i tried that too but did not work.

2. By pressing break key when power on after 60 second, which did not work too.

3. Try to check for sequence key combination to break the password of 3640 series.

guys, is also tried to sh run if i can get all my settings, but it did not let me show run and when i use (?) on the (router>) there is no such command since i am not in the global config.

How can I solve this problem guys?

please help cus i am confus.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

It looks like to are in ROMMON mode so your break sequence has worked.

Judging by the error message when you originally tried to log on you don't have a password or local user account set on your router however you have login or login local configured on your console/vty lines.

If you enter "confreg 0x2142" from ROMMON and the "reset", do you then see:

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog?[yes/no]

If so, select no and then do "copy startup-config running-config".

You should now be able to do "show run" and check to see what has caused you issue.

Once you have identified the problem (have a look at "line con 0" and "line vty 0 4") you must then change the boot reg back to 0x2102 using config-register 0x2102 and then save your config.

Good luck!

Paddy

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

It looks like to are in ROMMON mode so your break sequence has worked.

Judging by the error message when you originally tried to log on you don't have a password or local user account set on your router however you have login or login local configured on your console/vty lines.

If you enter "confreg 0x2142" from ROMMON and the "reset", do you then see:

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog?[yes/no]

If so, select no and then do "copy startup-config running-config".

You should now be able to do "show run" and check to see what has caused you issue.

Once you have identified the problem (have a look at "line con 0" and "line vty 0 4") you must then change the boot reg back to 0x2102 using config-register 0x2102 and then save your config.

Good luck!

Paddy

thanks for the quick respond sir, but it did not show me (would you like to enter the initial config dialog?[yes/no].... but just (Router>).

yes is showing % No password set... but from there, what else will i type in to get to the config t as tthere is none...

i am online sir and waiting for your response

Try to simulate a break key sequence

if your terminal emulator doesn't support the break key, or

if a bug prevents it from sending the correct signal

(the hyperterminal under Windows NT used to suffer from this behavior):

Connect to the router with the following terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen. This is normal.

1. Power cycle (switch off and then on) the router and press the spacebar for

10-15 seconds. This generates a signal similar to the break sequence.

2. Disconnect your terminal and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You should now

be in ROM Monitor mode.

3. If all the preceeding methods have failed to properly send a break, you

should retry the procedures using a different terminal or PC platform.

M.

okay sir, i will try that now, but my systems is winxp professional and i have another which is win2k server/advanced.... i will still try both systems (os) and brief you later on any development.

thanks and i will communicate with you soon

have a nice day.

Sorry i misread your post, once you manage to get into ROMMON mode then follow the steps in my previous post.

The key to use from hyperterminal is Ctrl and Break, if you are using a different client check the following link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/61.html

Rgds

Paddy

paddy, those this mean that i lost all my datas in the router since its gave me this (Router>)? before is named (Engine1).

If its does, then why not if i just reset the Baud Reset jumper on the system board so that i can start fresh configuration on the router...

please advice and what best to do...

(Q). What could be responsible to such problems i.e. system reset on its own or other means? please advice.

waiting for your response sir.

thanks

Hi M,

I would like to thank you very much. I have had this problem for 3 days and while I was researching; I stumbled on your email and my problem is now solved.

Thank you,

Ahmed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card