cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Software management

stevecox
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to CiscoWorks. I am trying to configure RME to manage the software on 2900XL/3500XL switches. It appears that I have to delete the current image on the switch or the job creation fails when I get to the "Verify Image Upgrade" page and I get the following message when I click on the "failed" link under status:

Error Messages:

Cause The size of the flash device or partition is too small to store the image.(Code: 4553)

Recommended Action: The selected image size exceeds the total size of the flash device or partition. Select a different destination flash device or partition.

Are there any workarounds for this or am I missing something in the configuration?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

What RME+IDU version?

RME version 3.5 with IDU 8.

james.amann
Level 1
Level 1

Going through the same thing. Docs say there is supposed to be a checkbox to delete the image from flash but it does not exist. I used the script below in netconfig to delete the files needed:

delete flash:/c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC9a.bin

y

delete flash:/html/*

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

rmdir flash:html

y

we have the same problem after upgrading to RME 3.5 IDU 8. All went fine with the "delete image checkbox" before updating the IDU but now it is missing :-(

As we have to schedule the jobs and don't want to run the switches with empty flashes for hours the "erase flash with netconfig" is no solution for us.

Any other ideas?

stevecox
Level 1
Level 1

I have opened a case with TAC. I will post any resolution I get from them.

great. That must be a bug in the latest IDU. If there will be no fix from cisco the only way is to downgrade IDU until the bug is gone. But it may be hard to find a version where our newer hardware is detected _and_ we can still do a software update of our 2924er switches :-(

I would be glad to hear of a resolution from cisco.

stevecox
Level 1
Level 1

Below is the reply from the Cisco engineer:

This is a side affect of the fix for CSCin68259 which was done in IDU 8.0 and DEs are looking into the problem now. You will get this error image verification when the image you are uploading is a tar image and the current image has CMS copied to flash.

SWIM verifies if the minimum flash size requirement of the image selected during the recommendation screen is met or not. This minimum flash size requirement is obtained from Cisco.com if the selected image is from Cisco.com. In this case, since we get 4MB as the min flash size requirement for 12.0(5)WC9a but flash device size is only 3.6MB, verification fails.

If you upload a bin image, you will get the message about overwriting the current image and you can continue the job. In case of bin file, SWIM is able to decide whether image can fit in the flash. In case of tar file, SWIM does not know the exploded size of the tar file, so SWIM has no way of knowing whether the image+CMS files will fit on flash or not. It has to use the filesize on Cisco.com and this is larger than your available space on flash.

Here is a temporary workaround:

- Download the image from Cisco.com into SWIM library and manually edit the min flash size requirement to <4MB.

Bug CSCin68259 was filed for the following scenario:

If the size of target image (X) is more than sum of size of running image (Y) and current free space (Z) i.e. --> X > (Y+Z). Prior to the fix, user was able to schedule the job and upgrade fails during the distribution. So as per the fix, verification will fail if X > Y + Z. Fix has been done for the scenario that prior/previous image upgrade was done via a bin distribution and user is trying to upgrade either:

(1) A bin image to tar image (Eventually a tar image is also extracted into a "bin image + other files" on the device's flash in a folder resembling the tar image name); or

(2) A bin image to bin image.

So SWIM is looking at tar filesize in case of (1) or (2). In this scenario, SWIM does not delete any file/directory other than the running bin image if space is less. "html" directory and/or other files is/are also not considered for deletion. So SWIM is not taking into calculation the space occupied by "html" directory or any other file/directory which is present on flash (apart from running bin image).

Here the size of tar image to be distributed (2924544) is greater than sum of free space (690176) and size of currently running bin image (1803944). Even if verification did not fail, the SWIM job would have eventually failed. So the only viable workaround is to download the image from Cisco.com into SWIM library and manually edit the minimum flash size requirements to less than 4MB.

Tried this out today - it does _not_ work for us. We changed the min flash size requirement to 2MB for the new image and got the same error message as before. We restored a "pre-update" disk image now, updated everything except DFM IDE 8.0. Now IDE 5.0 is running and everything is fine again.

stevecox
Level 1
Level 1

I could not get this to work either. The only workaround that I have found to work is to delete the html/ subdirectory on the switch and I can then create the job. I can leave the .bin image intact.