Views
Helpful
Replies

Router troubleshooting question

chrishall
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have a couple of questions, so I hope you can bare with me....

1. Earlier in the year, we had a consultant that was trying to implement EIGRP on our 1751 [Version 12.2(1r)XE1] & 2650XM [Version 12.2(13b)]. We were informed that we would have to get our problem of dropping connections resolved first. Doing a sh int, how can I tell if we are losing connections? Or is there another command? (I do see several 'lost carrier' messages...)

2. I'm studying for my CCNA. One of the things I came across while studying is when doing a sh int and it shows line up, protocol is down, that it's a Data Link layer problem. How would I procede to resolve this?

3. Are there any cisco forums for someone preparing for the CCNA exam? (I saw one resource, but apparently not available for everyone).

Thanks for your help,

Chris

2 Replies 2

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

If the connection is dropping, the resets count in the show interface will be incrementing.

Line up, protocol down can be many things. Could be a Telco problem or a cable problem. If this is a back to back cable connection however, and the cable is ok, then it is most probably mismatched keepalive vaues at each end of the connection.

There is a Career Certifications thread in this forum.

thanks for the reply.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card