cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a home lab

kkct
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I want to begin my study with a home lab. I bought several second-hand Cisco switches and routers.  I haven't tested them yet.

1. I've heard that I need to have drivers installed.  I searched the web and it seems that the only way to download drivers is to sign a service contract with Cisco, which is not an option to me (I don't have a company).  Can I bypass the driver issue?  

2. Do I still need the drivers if I only use the serial interface (not USB)?

3. I have Fujitsu laptop which has a serial interface. I bought a serial rollover cable with RJ-45 on one end and a serial port on the other end, but I can't plug it into the laptop because both sides are male. Did I miss something here?

I know those are rookie's questions but really want to learn the answers. Thank you!

2 Replies 2

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Is the IOS not installed already? 

1. You need Cisco IOS software installed on the flash of the devices. The IOS is an Operating System like Windows for laptop. You need support contract to download software. No way around it legally.

2. Devices need IOS to be operational. 

3. https://dcloud-cms.cisco.com/help/connect_console

Hope this helps.

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You may want to get a proper console cable and power up the devices to see if they already have the IOS. 

You may not need software from Cisco.

Access the CLI via PuTTY using a Console Connection