cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP transfer ! or .

7benjamin7
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried searching google and haven't found anything. What is the transfer output trying to tell me with a ! or a . ?

Receiving asa-fp1k.9.13.1.SPA from 10.1.1.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!.!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....!.!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I lose some packets? It's UDP, how would it know?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm unsure it's documented somewhere, but as far as I know meaning of '!' is "OK", and '.' mean "block lost"

It's UDP, how would it know?

It's not UDP, it's TFTP.  Read RFC 1350 - The TFTP Protocol (Revision 2) to learn how TFTP protocol is designed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm unsure it's documented somewhere, but as far as I know meaning of '!' is "OK", and '.' mean "block lost"

It's UDP, how would it know?

It's not UDP, it's TFTP.  Read RFC 1350 - The TFTP Protocol (Revision 2) to learn how TFTP protocol is designed.

I suppose if I would have just read the tftp rfc right away, I maybe could have found that.

I new tftp used UDP but assumed because it uses UDP, it didn't use acknowledgements.

Thanks

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I recall (?) those codes are documented, somewhere, by Cisco, but Dan's post answers your first question.

Dan's second answer might confuse a tiny bit. TFTP runs over UDP, but the TFTP protocol, itself, is what determines whether data has been received or not.

Wanting to "know" whether your data has been received is a common network application requirement. Either the "application", in this case TFTP, needs to perform that function, somehow, or if you use a network protocol like TCP, TCP will perform that function for the higher level "application". (Again, this is such a common requirement, it's one of the primary reasons TCP was defined, so that each network application didn't need to reinvent that wheel. [Another common feature often desired is some form of transmission rate control, which is provided by TCP, but not by TFTP. This is why FTP generally operates so much faster over a WAN , as it use TCP, versus TFTP.])

Hello,

on a side note, according to the document below:

--> The exclamation point "!" indicates that the copy process is in progress. Each exclamation point indicates that ten packets have transferred successfully.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/3800-series-integrated-services-routers/49044-sw-upgrade-proc-ram.html