cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking betwenn 4006 and 3560

Wajma_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 4006 that is used for Voice and Data, we have all the ports configured with the voice vlan and also another vlan, We would like to extend the ports by adding a 3560. I have configured all of the ports for 3560 with a voice vlan and another vlan (access ports), I have configured a trunk between both switches however I am getting the Data Traffic passing and getting routed correctly while the the connected IP phone is not able to get a IP address, Can any body help me indentify what is wrong.

I have the trunk configured as follows:

Interface f0/1

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 10

Thanks for your help

4 Replies 4

dnewell24
Level 1
Level 1

With 802.1q trunks I always make sure there is not a native VLAN mismatch. But in this case I would also look into removing the "switchport voice vlan 10" command.

According to Cisco Documentation voice vlans are not supported on trunk interfaces even though the command is allowed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801e8785.html#1030825

HTH

Ryan

Thank you so much for your feedback I configured and tested, it works fine.

Since this is a point-to-point trunk between 2 switches there is no need for the 'switchport voice vlan' command since the concept of Voice Vlans is not relevent here. Configure the trunk as follows:

!3560

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y (where x is data and y is voice)

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

On the access ports configure:

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan x

switchport voice vlan y

!

Make sure the trunk on the 4000 is configured the same.

Andy

Thank you so much, I configured the switches and tested the them PC and Phone work fine.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card