cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

version of software on my cisco switch?

wavess
Level 1
Level 1

a bit confused, so what version of IOS am I running?  I see 16.12.04 and 16.12.4.  i see the name of the ios as cat9k_iosxe.  thanks.

show ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.12.04
Cisco IOS Software [Gibraltar], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT9K_IOSXE), Version 16.12.4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2020 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 09-Jul-20 21:49 by mcpre

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not necessarily.

Flavio (and Leo too, I believe), are just saying 16.12.4 and 16.12.04 are one and the same release number, to which I agree.  Leo, further, posits, Cisco is just being inconsistent in how the release number is presented.

I'm saying (from my understanding) XE and the IOS running under it are two different OSs, each having their own release number.  I think (?), but couldn't be mistaken, what show version is showing is the release number for both, which can be, incidentally, the same release number.  If what show version is, in fact, doing this (i.e. two different OSs with "like" release numbers), might also account for the slightly different presentation of the release number (i.e. one showing a leading zero).

BTW, in the past, I recall (?) some routers supported a "separate" upgradable boot IOS, their show ver presented both images release number.  I also recall, for those routers, they often had a pair of OSs, with a matching release number (although you seldom needed to upgrade the boot IOS - which was its own upgrade operation, at that time).

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hi

For simplicity you can use 16.12.4. The image below is not your version but can give you an idea.

bulletin-c25-2378701_0.jpg

thanks Flavio.  why does it say 16.12.4 AND 16.12.04?  

I can only assume as it is not clearly explained. The 4 or 04 is the Maintenence release number and 04 is a more especific way to write than 4.  Depending on how many releases the IOS may have in the feature they need to use the two number like 10, for example.

So, this value must be a "decimal" to accomodate future values, if necessary, but it can be also written in unitary as is below 10 currently.

@wavess wrote:

why does it say 16.12.4 AND 16.12.04?  

Consistency -- Or the lack of.  
This will be the new "standard" for Cisco.  Different versions will behave differently. 

IMPORTANT:  If this is a 9300, avoid using 16.12.X because it is very toxic.  

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Because there are two OSs involved, XE and the CAT IOS running under it.

BTW, XE is a VM (virtual machine) OS, while the CAT IOS is, basically, the switch IOS designed to run under XE.

Thanks Joe.  Seems like what you are saying is conflicting with what Flavio is saying.  

Not necessarily.

Flavio (and Leo too, I believe), are just saying 16.12.4 and 16.12.04 are one and the same release number, to which I agree.  Leo, further, posits, Cisco is just being inconsistent in how the release number is presented.

I'm saying (from my understanding) XE and the IOS running under it are two different OSs, each having their own release number.  I think (?), but couldn't be mistaken, what show version is showing is the release number for both, which can be, incidentally, the same release number.  If what show version is, in fact, doing this (i.e. two different OSs with "like" release numbers), might also account for the slightly different presentation of the release number (i.e. one showing a leading zero).

BTW, in the past, I recall (?) some routers supported a "separate" upgradable boot IOS, their show ver presented both images release number.  I also recall, for those routers, they often had a pair of OSs, with a matching release number (although you seldom needed to upgrade the boot IOS - which was its own upgrade operation, at that time).

IOS-XE, as a whole, memory-leaks like a sieve. However, 16.12.4 memory-leaks like a broken hydrant.  

Have a look at the graph below: 

9300, IOS-XE version 16.12.49300, IOS-XE version 16.12.4

This is a 320-day graph of the control-plane of a switch member of stack.  (This 9300 stack is on 16.12.4.)

From September 2021 until March 2022, there is a slow "rise".  That is a "normal" memory leak.  The "spike" during the month of March 2022 is due to FN - 72323 - Cisco IOS XE Software: QuoVadis Root CA 2 Decommission Might Affect Smart Licensing, Smart Call Home, and Other Functionality.  I applied the workaround on April 2022 and the memory leak tapered off.  

What I am trying to say are: 

1. Monitor the CPU and memory control-plane religiously. 
  2. Stop using 16.12.X.  Downgrade to 16.6.X (if the switch supports it) or upgrade to 17.3.X.  

@wavess wrote:

Thanks Joe.  Seems like what you are saying is conflicting with what Flavio is saying.  

For "consistency" purposes, Cisco has some rule-of-thumb in regards to the naming convention of their IOS-XE versions -- Which everyone inside Cisco do not actually adhere to.  The rules are: 

• If the IOS-XE version number is only a series of numbers, like 16.12.4 or 16.12.04, then it means it is a beta or internal use only. 
  • If the IOS-XE version number starts with names of mountains, like Gibraltar-16.12.4 or Gibraltar-16.12.04, then it means that the version being discussed (like in Bug IDs) is/are public.  
  • If the IOS-XE version has an "r" at the end, like 16.12.2r or 16.12(2r), then it means a ROMMON.  

NOTE17.2.1r is a one-of-a-kind (I hope) boo-boo.  It is not a ROMMON file but an IOS-XE version.  Again, consistency.  

When reading Bug IDs, it is always helps to read them with an "open" mind -- That the rules above, do not apply.  Sometimes the Known Affected Versions and the Known Fixed Versions have the same IOS-XE versions or the either column only have numbers as the version number (and not start with names of mountains).  A lot of times in the Conditions section it will state a particular version but in the Known Affected Releases &/or Known Fixed Releases it will have a different list of versions. 

wavess
Level 1
Level 1

thanks everyone for your comments and assistance.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card