Helpful
Replies

VLAN in 2924XL and 4506

f.fatima
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a catalyst 2924 XL and a core 4506,

The 2924 XL don’t support trunk. I want to know if there is a solution to create a vlan into the 2924 that will be the same in the catalyst 4506.

thanks.

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am assuming you have XL switch with 4MB DRAM which does not support trunking

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/195.html#subtopic2h

You can create multiple VLANs on the XL but you cannot pass traffic over one link to the 4506

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can create a given VLAN on the 4506, and then connect the uplink on the 2900XL to the 4506. You would just need to make the port on the 4506 an access port in the VLAN of your choice. Since this is just an uplink access port, VLAN information will not be propagated between the switches, so the VLAN# on both sides does not need to match. Although for manageability's sake, it's probably a good idea for them to match.

With this config, all ports on the 2900XL that are in the same VLAN as its uplink port will be able to send traffic across the uplink to the VLAN of the port on the 4506.

hth

we have do the same thing. but it'isnt a problem if all ports in the 2924 are in the default vlan 1 and the catalyst is connected in a port in vlanX in the core?

And we have a vlan1 of management declared in the core.

Right, even if there's a "vlan mismatch" between the 4506-2900XL link, this will still work at layer 2. You'll want to IP address the hosts on the 2900XL appropriately for the VLAN defined on the 4506.

Since this is just an uplink port and not a trunk port, the frames moving across the link are not tagged, which is why the actual VLAN number on the 2900XL does not matter. But having the VLAN numbers match makes it easier to manage.

ok, thanks

Hello,

I have a 2924M XL with a 1 port GBIC card installed, from looking @ the IOS it seems that I can configure a switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q and set it up as a trunk link back to my 4006. The 4006 has a vtp domain and password configured so I have manually matched that config back on the 2900 XL switch with the vlan database command. I still can't get them to ping and debugging dtp frames is showing that my gig int on the 2900 is dropping the frames? I have vlan 1 as the native vlan on all my trunks but this is the first time I've tried to configure a 2900 switch as at trunk? Any help would be appreciated.

~zo