Helpful
Replies

VLAN Management

adeleon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All:

Have a catalyst switch 3548 XL.

By mistake I changed the management VLAN thru the web browser & of course lost connection to it. I believe the default VLAN was VLAN 1. It had already a private IP address assigned which I was able to access via a browser.

I wish to get back into the original VLAN, in other use the same IP address if possible.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you need a console connection to change back to what it was before.

I am at the console already.

I deleted the vlan I created, however, I need to have access to it via CMS like before. It had a private IP address.

interface vlan1

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

no shut

*enter the ip address you want, you will then be able to access it throught the browser by that ip address

ok.

When perforning a show confiration, it shows that:

interface vlan 1

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx 255.255.255.xxx

ip broadcast-address 255.255.255.xxx

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

ip default-gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

It seems the vlan already has an Ip address.

I tried accessing viaa browser using that IP and can't access it.

Will doing cmd "interface vlan1" & giving it an Ip have any consequences if it already has an IP?

Thanks again!

Yes, you can set the ip address on the vlan interface this way, and the other address (the one you added by mistake) will be overwritten. From the CLI (console connection)

switch# conf t

switch# int vlan1

switch# in address

Good luck.

Jon

However, this is the info giving at the console:

interface vlan 1

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx 255.255.255.xxx

ip broadcast-address 255.255.255.xxx

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

ip default-gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

It seems the vlan already has an IP address which is a public one. However,I used to have access via the CMS browser using a private IP. Now, I'm sure it was the same VLAN 1. Is it possible to give it two IP address to a VLAN? Because I don't have access using the IP listed there right now, which is a public IP.

So, the question is, if it already has an IP address but it's not the one I was originally using to access via the CMS -since it was a private IP- will giving it an IP cause any ramifications?

Thanks Again!