Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP and first time implementation

matthew.bauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I think I understand VTP in theory and have witnessed it in use. I have never implemented such a thing and now I think I have a need to. (I am unsure).

Here is what I have:

5 buildings, 1 with a 4006 sup 3, the others with 2950's layer 2. 2 vlans setup all routing has to occur on the 4006. One of the buildings is about to have 3 2950's replaced with a 4506.

How would I go about setting up VTP and the setup above. I would want to make the 4006 the server and the other switches clients.

Will the 2950's respond to VTP changes due to the fact that they are layer 2?

Thanks

Matt

2 Replies 2

Hello Mathew,

VTP has no Layer 3 characteristics, so you should be ok configuring your 4006 as VTP server and the rest of your switches as VTP clients. Just make sure that the VTP name is the same on all switches (the VTP name is case-sensitive).

Regards,

Georg

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

all you need are trunks configured between your switches. VTP frames are sent on trunk lines only, always in VLAn1 (even if VLAN1 is removed from the trunk for user data).

VTP domain name (and password if used) must be the same on all switches, of course.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_white_paper09186a00801b49a4.shtml#cg1 for details.

Regards,

Milan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card