cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain

aessome
Level 1
Level 1

I want to connect a new switch in a network ? revision nummer prob etc?

thanks

4 Replies 4

p-kostov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, under certain conditions there could be a problem, but normally nothing should be of concern.

The problem could arise, if you're connecting a new switch to the already running network, where this new switch brings an higher rev number counter. This can happen, if you did more VTP changes on that "new" switch than on the others (which are in your life network) AND your didn't turn the "new" switch's power off/on after that BUT you connect it to the life network. Every change in the VTP config causes the rev number to increment. The rev-number is only reset, if the switch is powered off or the whole VTP config is cleared and then reconfigured again (? i think)

Of course there would be a problem only if the VTP version and name / password are identical.

wassim.kreidy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

turing the switch off and back on will not reset the VTP database revision number. A good trick would be to change the domain name of the switch you want to install to something completely different than what you would have on your live network (may be change to NULL domain) and then reconfigure it with your actual VTP domain name. This will force the switch to reset its VTP revision number.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Wassim,

after doing that, may i reboot the new switch before plug it to the live network ?

Thanks

Yes, you can reboot the switch, no problems about that. It's just that rebooting the switch without doing the procedure I told you about will not help you preventing the problem from appearing (in case the new switch revision number in higher than your live network AND the VTP domain name and password are matching)

Regards