cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a WS-X6748 module work if you have a Supervisor 1A or 2?

dhwall
Level 1
Level 1

Will this module function and run on the classic 32GB bus?

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

I am sorry to say that WS-X6748-GE-TX and WS-X6748-SFP only works with sup 720 and it does not work with sup1A and sup 2.

Check this link to confirm it hs details of all the lines cards

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_4498.htm

Where you see this card you will see 1,2,3 and if you scroll the page you will see with reference to point 3 it is only supported with sup720.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

If I have a switch running the sup720 but have the 6548 ethernet cards will they run on the 256 gig backplane or drop down to 32 gig because we aren't running the SFM2 anymore? Do all the cards (even the sup720 compatible) drop to lowest backplane compatible card. In other words, if I had a chassis with a sup720, a 6748 ethernet card (720 compatible), a 6548 ethernet card (SFM compatible), and a 6348 ethernet card, would the entire switch operate on the 32 gig backplane?

Hi,

The answer to this is explained here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/183.html#SFM_modes

"When the switch contains a fabric-enabled module and a nonfabric-enabled module, the fabric-enabled line cards operate in truncated mode. In this mode, the traffic between the fabric-capable module and the nonfabric modules goes through the switch fabric channel and the Data BUS through the Supervisor Engine. In the case of traffic between fabric-enabled modules, only the truncated data (the first 64 bytes of the frame) are sent over the switch fabric channel. In the case of traffic between two nonfabric-enabled modules, it acts like the flow-through mode."

The doc also explains the different fabric modes and how different combinations of module types will affect this. Now, the doc is written for the SFM/SFM2, but the theory of operation is the same for the sup720 switch fabric.

HTH,

Bobby

Please rate helpful posts.

If I have a switch running the sup720 but have the 6548 ethernet cards will they run on the 256 gig backplane or drop down to 32 gig because we aren't running the SFM2 anymore? Do all the cards (even the sup720 compatible) drop to lowest backplane compatible card. In other words, if I had a chassis with a sup720, a 6748 ethernet card (720 compatible), a 6548 ethernet card (SFM compatible), and a 6348 ethernet card, would the entire switch operate on the 32 gig backplane?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card