cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Cisco 2621 use the IOS of Cisco 2611?

brave_heart
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a Cisco 2621, its IOS has been deleted by mistake, I tried to copy an IOS image from a 2611 to its flash by using tftpdnld and xmodem in ROM-Monitor mode, but it doesn't work. After the system reboot, it can not find the fast-ethernet ports and WICs, and I can not issue the command "show flash" to view the content of flash, and "dir" told me "Unknown file system". I wonder if 2621 can use the IOS of 2611?

Any suggestion and help will be greatly appreciate!!!

7 Replies 7

kmarrero
Level 4
Level 4

The image from the 2611 to the 2621 should work as long as there is enough memory in the 2621 to take the image. The image could have become corrupted while downloading. Try downloading the latest version off the Software Center http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/

Unfortunately, I do not have enough access level to download the IOS image.

Thank you!

bratager
Level 1
Level 1

The IOS should be compatible. We ran into a similar problem when replacing a router recently. Our problem was due to the new router being the newer XM model which requires fairly new code to operate. A "sh ver" would show if this was an XM model.

I will try your method to see if it is an XM model. It was bought about one year ago, has 32MB RAM, two Fast-ethernet ports. The biggest problem is that the new IOS can not recognize the ethernet ports, which makes the router useless. I hope it is not due to a hareware problem, otherwise I cannot solve it by myself.

Thanks!

That was the same issue I saw when a code was loaded that the XM router did not support, none of the interfaces were recognized. What version of IOS are you running?

Do you know which IOS should I download to support the XM model 2621? Thanks a lot!

It could vary depending on the feature set needed, but generally 12.1(14) or later should work with the 2621XM. We've been running 12.1(20) on our XM routers without any major issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: