cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cat 6509 48 port rj45 card

b.withrow
Level 1
Level 1

Twice now our company has seen groupings of switchports on a 48 port card go bad. This morning it happened to be ports 25-36 and we can't explain it. The ports were still UP and exchanging ARP but I couldn't ping any device in any of those ports. I wanted to reset the entire module but I can't effect 48 servers on our backbone all at once. Has anyone had experience such as this? I am looking for a way to diagnose this in the future. I know when I call the TAC and open a case I will have no problem getting an RMA for the module, but that means downtime, and I would like to avoid that if possible.

4 Replies 4

mawalk2
Level 1
Level 1

Info: we had "similar" problems, always with 1 group of switchports. RMA's for different modules on differents switches (all 65XX) did not solve the problem. The customer is now observing the temperature of the box as the event doesn't occurs regularly (every year 2-5 times). If you face the same problem again after a RMA, I recommend to observe the temperature.

Thanks for the reply. That's a great idea. Since this has already happened twice I would like to do as you suggest. How is the customer checking the temperature? On the chasis or in the room? Because our room is very climate controled, but maybe it's in a hotspot.

I've same kind of problem, sometimes , the reason? unknown!

Another thing is CiscoWorks 6.1 says unsupported module. The reason? I would like to know! Any suggestions?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is 2 or 3 different known software bugs with 6348 cards dpending on what OS version you are running . Are you seeing anything in the logg buffer ? You may be running into this . There is a also a bug for errdisable on these cards , bug CSCdz41466 .

Headline 6348-RJ-45: Coil Pinnacle Header Checksum Error Product cat6000 Model x6348 Component hw-asic-coil Duplicate of Severity 2 Severity help Status Resolved Status help First Found-in Version 5.4(4) First Fixed-in Version 6.3(2), 5.5(9.10), 6.3(1.1), 7.1(0.9)FW07, 7.1(0.9)FW09, 6.3(1.6), 5.5(10.1), 5.5(11) Version help

Release Notes

Individual port or ports on x6348 may get stuck on Tx. Customer may see

"Coil Pinnacle header checksum error" for that port in syslog.

You can find the fix in the following releases and onward:

5.5(18) 6.3(10) 7.4(3) 7.5(1)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card