Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake On Lan Feature - How to enable??

gibsthomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I would like to enable WoL feature in certain part of our network. Is there a global command to enable that?. or does it only require 'dot1x control-direction in' interface configuration?..

Also does the WoL Magic packet get forwarded through routers??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

GT

24 Replies 24

One more point about #2: most WoL systems use the UDP discard port, UDP/9.  Start with allowing UDP to any port, and once it is working try restricting it to UDP port 9 only and see if it still works.

Thanks Kevin.

Just to be sure, the helper ip-address is going to be a local broadcast address for the target network, correct?

So if my server that initiates the WoL is on 192.168.190.0/24 network and the target network is 192.168.192.0/24,

my helper ip-address will be 192.168.192.255 and it will be configured on the 192.168.190.0/24 interface.

Thanks again

Yes. If the server that will issue the WOL packets is in the 192.168.190.0 network then the helper-address commands will be configured on the the 192.168.190.0 interface and the helper-address would be 192,168.192.255.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks again, gents. I truly appreciate the help.

Bryant C Mothershed

(Just and old cowboy that wound up in IT)

I just wonder, aren't there WOL Servers outside, that already create a directed broadcast paket? If this is the case, the ip helper is not needed. Creating all the helpers in an enterprise network would be a mess.

GT12081983
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two Cisco SG350-28p connected with an uplink:

interface GigabitEthernet25
description TRK_FELT-CPI-SWI-002
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 50
switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 1
no macro auto smartport

the Client connected to the switch1 where the server is, are able to work with the WOL, in the switch2 (behind the trunk) the WOL dont work.
I thought, if the Broadcast traffic is on the same VLAN (50), I don't need to configure anything on my uplink port.

what am I doing wrong?

interface vlan 1
name "DATI OLD"
no ip address dhcp
no snmp trap link-status
!
interface vlan 20
name FONIA
!
interface vlan 50
name "DATI Fastweb"
ip address 172.27.44.201 255.255.255.0

thanks

We do not have enough information yet to know why your implementation is not working. You have posted very limited config information that appears to be from switch 1. At a minimum we need similar information from switch 2.

If I were investigating something like this on Catalyst switches I would ask for the following output from both switches

show cdp neighbor

show interface trunk

show interface status

I am not sure if these commands work on SG350 or if there are equivalent commands.

HTH

Rick

GT12081983
Level 1
Level 1

sorry, you're right
attached the data you request.

thanks for your help.

@GT12081983 thanks for the outputs that I requested. On most Catalyst switches the show interface status command will include in its output the vlan membership of a port. Looks like the SG350 does not include that in its output. The output of show cdp neighbor does confirm that both switches see each other connected on port 25. And the output of show interface switchport does confirm that both switches have a trunk configured on port 25 and that both trunks use vlan 50 as the native vlan.

I do not see anything in the output so far that would indicate why WOL does work on vlan 50 on switch 2 but apparently does not work on vlan 50 on switch 2. I do note that switch 2 doe include vlan 1 on the trunk while switch 1 does not. I do not see why this would be a problem but (as a test) I would suggest removing the command on switch 1 that removes vlan 1 from the trunk.

Other than the issue with WOL do devices connected in vlan 50 on switch 2 operate normally? Are they able to obtain IP addresses and to access resources on the networks?

HTH

Rick

morningfalcon
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies for resurrecting this thread yet again, but there was a recent change in IOS XE 17.3.x that caught me out. When configuring directed broadcasts on a router interface running one of these versions you also need to configure ip network-broadcast on the ingress interface for the broadcast traffic to forwarded.

For example, assume you have two routers, R1 and R2, which are connected to each other via their Fa0/0 interface. A server is connected to Fa0/1 on R1 and a host that needs to be turned on is connected to Fa0/1 on R2. For wake on LAN to work you would need to configure the following on R2:

R2(config)# interface Fa0/0
R2(config-if)# ip network-broadcast
R2(config-if)# interface Fa0/1
R2(config-if)# ip directed-broadcast

For more information on configuring directed broadcasts and the ip network-broadcast command you can view the Cisco documentation here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp/configuration/xe-17/iap-xe-17-book/m_iap-bph-0.html#GUID-815E848E-9807-4A5F-A21B-E11067E119ED

Hopefully this will save someone else from having to contact TAC because their directed broadcasts stopped working. I like to think it would have saved me.

Cheers,

~Nick