Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Pool Limitation

R0n1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Is there still a limit to the amount of IPs that can be configured in a DHCP pool? 

If there is a limit and we need more than 256 IPs to support our Remote Access VPN clients, can multiple pools be created to accommodate them?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The DHCP pool limit, you define it; you can make it /24, /26, /16, /10, whatever. In general, for IPv4 and traditional VLAN/switching, the bigger the pool, the bigger the broadcast domain, which can pose some challenges. In the case of DHCP pool for VPN clients, there is no broadcast domain, so you don't need to worry about it.

At the same time, it's better to group your users based own the different authorization policies they will receive, and use different DHCP/IP pools for each group, in order to make easier policies, per IP subnet.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Thank you Cristian (I love your videos on INE by the way).

In the past, there was a limit. Is that no longer the case? 

For all ASA models, the maximum number of DHCP client addresses varies depending on the license:

• If the limit is 10 hosts, the maximum available DHCP pool is 32 addresses.
  • If the limit is 50 hosts, the maximum available DHCP pool is 128 addresses.
  • If the number of hosts is unlimited, the maximum available DHCP pool is 256 addresses.

Hi,

I haven't seen you saying it's about the ASA. You are right, but that's not a technical restriction, it's a sales restriction :) And as far as i remember, it was only for the base model 5505.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned this is for a 5525-X ASA.

sure i have not seen any limitation document on ASA for the DHCP Pool.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: