Views
Helpful
Replies

A901-6CZ-F-A error: liceError:

jmartinez20
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I upgraded about 10x A901-6CZ-F-A but got an error on one of the units. Error: Licensing infrastructure is NOT initialized.
upgraded to asr901-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP9.bin units boots up fine, but then i get the error and I'm not able to install any licenses. does not recognize the command "license install"

I erased NVRAM multiple times and boot up from USB, I also format flash and load new IOS, but no luck.

Configuration register is 0x2102 
Cisco IOS Software, 901 Software (ASR901-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.6(2)SP9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 15.6(2r)SP4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

1 terminal line

256K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

3905536K bytes of USB flash in usbflash0 (3861056K bytes free).

98304K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

[MCU] Retrying command Boot(FF)
[MCU] Retrying command Boot(FF)

[MCU] Running version 01.16.05(08)
[MCU] Running version 05.08
[MCU] New version is 05.08
[MCU] Running version and upgrade version are same
[ROMMON] Current version is 09.00.00
[ROMMON] New version is 09.00.00
[ROMMON] Current version and new version are same

Press RETURN to get started!

Also I did the following command to see it was enabled.  >Router# upgrade rom-monitor preference autoupgrade enable

Thank You in Advance, any input is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @jmartinez20 

By any chance did you upgrade from a software release prior to 15.5(3)S? That is the release where the ASR901 first got Smart Licensing infrastructure, so there would not have been an area of flash carved out for license data prior to this release. Typically, these kinds of license partitions are inaccessible to users, so erasing NVRAM should not impact license data.  You might try to "squeeze" the flash on this (and really, all of your 901 units) to free up some flash. The 901 was built on the cheap and uses very slow flash that must be squeezed to recover space from deleted files. It is possible there is not enough room in that unit's flash to create a license partition.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

jmartinez20
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your response @Ramblin Tech

Yes, so I was able to format the flash and was able to make room (I used format flash or erase flash) and was able to copy the image,
before it was telling I had no space, the upgrade was done from asr901-universalk9-mz.153-2.S1.bin to asr901-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP9.bin
I guess I can try the Squeeze command, but I already made room for the new IOS and was copied and bootup successfully,

the only ERROR I see is Error: Licensing infrastructure is NOT initialized and I'm not able to install any license.
does not recognize the command " license install"

Hi @jmartinez20 

If you have a support contract, a TAC case is the next step if you want to install a license PAK in this unit. If not... Is all of your required functionality actually working? The ASR 901 never enforced feature licenses (base vs advanced) in s/w even after Smart Licensing was enabled in its IOS release, as only port speed licenses were enforced (and maybe PTP). As long as you are actually entitled to run the features you have turned on (ie, bought the license), then there should be no legal issue with running without a PAK installed.

I worked with the tier-3 support group of an SP that had over 40K ASR 901 units installed (the first gen without 10G interfaces) and I do not recall an issue like this (license infra not initialized) ever coming up. This SP never installed license PAKs in the 901 as the administrative burden was too great, but they did pay for the appropriate license level so it was not an issue.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO