cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to RMA a device w/ Limited Lifetime Warranty after owning 1 year?

WAB-IT
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Small Business CBW240AC access point that will no longer power on and is older than 1 year old (so I can not get free Tech Support from Cisco).

The device was purchased brand new from a Cisco Authorized Reseller.  When I contact the company I purchased the device from, they tell me to contact Cisco, when I contact Cisco they say that I don't have a support contract and the device serial number is registered to the Distribution Company that my vendor mostly likely purchased the equipment from.   

Since my purchase vendor doesn't seem to know how I am supposed to get an RMA, and Cisco will not assist me, maybe my next step would be to contact the Distibution company that Cisco has registered for the Serial Number, and explain the situation to them and see if they can let me know what I need to do?

I purchased the device new on 9/29/2021.
I do not have a Cisco Support Contract. But the info provided by Cisco on the product states that I do not need a support contract to use the limited lifetime warranty.  I have attached screen shots of the warranty info for quick reference.

Cisco Small Business Device Coverage.jpg

CISCO SMB free 1 year of tech suport.jpg

Cisco SMB Warranty rma procedure.jpg

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the device not register on your name, then you need to contact the owner of the device to raise TAC for RMA.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

But how am I to get the devices reregistered to me, when the resellers don't know how to do that themselves. When I speak to them about this they are lost...   The name of the company that Cisco provided me that the devices are registered to, is the distribution company that the resellers use.  When I present this info to the resellers and ask them how would I go about getting the company that they purchased the devices from to move the registration to my name, they are completely lost..  I then ask them if there someone at the distribution company that I can call, and explain what Cisco is telling me needs to happen... Again they are lost...   

I am tempted to Google the distribution company that Cisco told me is the registered owner, and reach out to them to see if they are willing to help me get the device(s) reregistered.

BUT....

If you look at the RMA Procedure that I included in the screenshot below.   Cisco supposedly has a process whereas they should still help me in the event I am unable to contact/locate the the Network Supplier..  See the attachment below.    How do I start that process, because I don't think I am going to get anywhere calling the distribution company, most likely they are going to just tell me to contact the vendor...

Cisco SMB Warranty rma procedure-2.JPG

WAB-IT
Level 1
Level 1

Does Cisco Small Business Employees ever chime in here, or is this forum only user to user based support?

My question is. How is a Cisco Small Business user able to get devices re-registered under there ID when a smartnet contract is not required for Small Business Products?  The need to have the devices registered to the small business, is to facilitate RMA's under the Limited Lifetime Warranty.

AAA Distributer purchases SMB Device from Cisco.
Cisco registers the SMB Device to the AAA Distributer.
CCC Small Business Company purchases SMB Device from BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller. 
BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller gets their inventory/ or dropship inventory from AAA Distributer.
BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller has no system or process in place to backfeed purchase info of CCC Small Business Company to AAA Distributer and have them re-register the SMB Device to CCC Small Business Company.  So as far as Cisco is concerned the SMB Device is registered to AAA Distributer.

Fast Forward 2 years, and the CCC Small Business Company need to get the SMB Device RMA'd.
CCC Small Business Company calls Cisco and requests an RMA.
Cisco asks for Serial Number, and tells CCC Small Business Company that they can not process an RMA because they show AAA Distributer as the registered user.

CCC Small Business Company calls the BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller which they purchased the SMB Device from and tell them that Cisco is saying that they do not show that they are the registered user, and that Cisco is showing that AAA Distributer is the registered owner. CCC Small Business Company asks the BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller how to fix this, and they have no answer.

So is this a training issue at the BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller then not knowing how or having some sort of process in place to get AAA Distributer to contact Cisco and move the device registration to CCC Small Business Company?

How did the Cisco Small Business department design this to work?  In the event BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller can not provide any help with getting the SMB Device re-registered under CCC Small Business Company?

I have personally ran into the "BBB Cisco Authorized Reseller" not being able to help me from 3 different Cisco Authorized Reseller's not having a clue on what they need to do to get the devices re-registered to me..  Amazon, Provantage, and B&H Wholesale...  All they do is send me my purchase invoice and tell me that I should contact Cisco.

You have to reach out to the supplier or Distributor from where you purchased the switch. They can help you approaching TAC it won't work sometimes.