Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming Issue with Flexgroup

Hi all,

I have been facing roaming issue where solution Client -based ( High Density AP deployment). All AP's are in flexgroup and authentication method is 802.1x.

I have customised the RF environment with RF profiles( power level max 17dbm for both the bands)

Global Roaming parameters  -67dbm, Hystersis -3db and scan threshold -62dbm.

Datarates are disabled till 11 mbps.

Still clients are getting connected to far away AP's .I could see the signal strength is good enough where clients wont decide to roam. If I disable data rates up to 18mbps or 24mbps for both the bands. Do clients disconnect if they are getting lower datarates or will roam to nearby AP's .?/

Will RxSOP help in this issue with code 8.0????  and if I configure optimized roaming with value -67dbm will clients get kicked off by AP ??

Warm Regards

Sri

1 Reply 1

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

It's hard to tell without doing a site survey etc but sounds like you actually need to turn your power levels down - particularly in the 2.4GHz range. Lower rates will actually enable the cells to be adequately overlapped instead of too highly overlapped.

Changing data rates will push some clients into roaming but you run the risk of the clients being unable to roam to any AP due to high restrictions. I recommend a site survey and a tuning of your power levels. Perhaps even look at turning 2.4GHz off on some APs.

Cheers,
Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card