Views
Helpful
Replies

CIVS-MSP-1RU for Video Surveillance Question

Alejandro Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Video Surveillance solution with one server CIVS-MSP-1RU and two disks CIVS-HDD-750=
The server arrived with the CIVS-MS-SW6.0 and CIVS-OM-SW4.0= license installed.

The solution is working but at this moment the client want to make a RAID with the two disks for redundancy. Is possible to make a RAID with this server?

I have read the documentation and it is not clear if the controller support a hardware RAID.

Thanks,

Alejandro

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I created a software raid 5 using LVM (logical volume manger). Using 4 1 TB drives in a 1 RU-MSP enviroment gives you

2.7 TB for  your videos:

hubble:~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid5] [raid4]
md0 : active raid5 sda3[0] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1]
      2892494976 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

unused devices:

and

hubble:~ # df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on                                                                                                                            
/dev/sda1              11G  3.8G  6.3G  38% /                                                                                                                                     
udev                 1013M  140K 1013M   1% /dev                                                                                                                                  
/dev/md0              2.7T  1.4T  1.2T  53% /media0                                                                                                                               
hubble:~ #    

Only backdraw I can see is the higher load(using 16 cams@720p):

load average: 3.44, 3.53, 3.65

So,  if you want redundancy - just build it....

View solution in original post

Please be aware that software RAID is not officially supported.

The newer media server platforms, CPS-MSP-1RU do ship with a LSI MegaRAID controller installed in case ordering a new server could be an option.  The CIVS-MSP only shipped with a RAID controller in the 2RU and 4RU servers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hoan Mai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rick,

thanks very much for your answer.

Its clear that this server doesn't support RAID-5 as it said in the document but its possible to make a RAID-1 so the disks will be mirrored?

In the document doesn't appears anything of RAID-1

We have two disks of 750GB, the idea is to make a RAID-1 with this two disks.

Thanks very much,

Best regards

Alejandro

I created a software raid 5 using LVM (logical volume manger). Using 4 1 TB drives in a 1 RU-MSP enviroment gives you

2.7 TB for  your videos:

hubble:~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid5] [raid4]
md0 : active raid5 sda3[0] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1]
      2892494976 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

unused devices:

and

hubble:~ # df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on                                                                                                                            
/dev/sda1              11G  3.8G  6.3G  38% /                                                                                                                                     
udev                 1013M  140K 1013M   1% /dev                                                                                                                                  
/dev/md0              2.7T  1.4T  1.2T  53% /media0                                                                                                                               
hubble:~ #    

Only backdraw I can see is the higher load(using 16 cams@720p):

load average: 3.44, 3.53, 3.65

So,  if you want redundancy - just build it....

Please be aware that software RAID is not officially supported.

The newer media server platforms, CPS-MSP-1RU do ship with a LSI MegaRAID controller installed in case ordering a new server could be an option.  The CIVS-MSP only shipped with a RAID controller in the 2RU and 4RU servers.