Views
Helpful
Replies

CIVS-MSP-1RU for Video Surveillance Question

Alejandro Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Video Surveillance solution with one server CIVS-MSP-1RU and two disks CIVS-HDD-750=
The server arrived with the CIVS-MS-SW6.0 and CIVS-OM-SW4.0= license installed.

The solution is working but at this moment the client want to make a RAID with the two disks for redundancy. Is possible to make a RAID with this server?

I have read the documentation and it is not clear if the controller support a hardware RAID.

Thanks,

Alejandro

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I created a software raid 5 using LVM (logical volume manger). Using 4 1 TB drives in a 1 RU-MSP enviroment gives you

2.7 TB for  your videos:

hubble:~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid5] [raid4]
md0 : active raid5 sda3[0] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1]
      2892494976 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

unused devices:

and

hubble:~ # df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on                                                                                                                            
/dev/sda1              11G  3.8G  6.3G  38% /                                                                                                                                     
udev                 1013M  140K 1013M   1% /dev                                                                                                                                  
/dev/md0              2.7T  1.4T  1.2T  53% /media0                                                                                                                               
hubble:~ #    

Only backdraw I can see is the higher load(using 16 cams@720p):

load average: 3.44, 3.53, 3.65

So,  if you want redundancy - just build it....

View solution in original post

Please be aware that software RAID is not officially supported.

The newer media server platforms, CPS-MSP-1RU do ship with a LSI MegaRAID controller installed in case ordering a new server could be an option.  The CIVS-MSP only shipped with a RAID controller in the 2RU and 4RU servers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hoan Mai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rick,

thanks very much for your answer.

Its clear that this server doesn't support RAID-5 as it said in the document but its possible to make a RAID-1 so the disks will be mirrored?

In the document doesn't appears anything of RAID-1

We have two disks of 750GB, the idea is to make a RAID-1 with this two disks.

Thanks very much,

Best regards

Alejandro

I created a software raid 5 using LVM (logical volume manger). Using 4 1 TB drives in a 1 RU-MSP enviroment gives you

2.7 TB for  your videos:

hubble:~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid5] [raid4]
md0 : active raid5 sda3[0] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1]
      2892494976 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

unused devices:

and

hubble:~ # df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on                                                                                                                            
/dev/sda1              11G  3.8G  6.3G  38% /                                                                                                                                     
udev                 1013M  140K 1013M   1% /dev                                                                                                                                  
/dev/md0              2.7T  1.4T  1.2T  53% /media0                                                                                                                               
hubble:~ #    

Only backdraw I can see is the higher load(using 16 cams@720p):

load average: 3.44, 3.53, 3.65

So,  if you want redundancy - just build it....

Please be aware that software RAID is not officially supported.

The newer media server platforms, CPS-MSP-1RU do ship with a LSI MegaRAID controller installed in case ordering a new server could be an option.  The CIVS-MSP only shipped with a RAID controller in the 2RU and 4RU servers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: