cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

The project was simple, stack many switches on rack, however, what is the maximum number of racks units with a default stack cable?

We have seen 6 rack units are the maximum, but it is too tight, so I think the maximum actually should be only 5 rack units.

this picture has 6 units racks

IMG_2019(2) - copia.jpeg

13 Comments
balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the question stacking cable, you need to get maximum cable length that is 3 meter ?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would be very careful deploying a stacking cable that way.  

I had a stack master crash (6 x 9300) after one of the stacking cables became lose.  

IOS-XE stacked switches suffer from several memory-leak bug with the stack-mgr daemon.  

If we order stacking cables, it will always be 1 metre. 

normally stack can go up to 8 switches. if you making big stacks, make sure to get stack cables with enough length. you need 3m cable for patch 1st and last of stack

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Officially, 9300/9300L/9300X can support up to 8 switches in a stack.  

Unofficially, it can support up to 16 switches in a stack.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sure , what a night mare to manage 16switches.

had hardest time with 8 stack 3750 replace and split them to 4 moving forward Cat 9K

deploying a chassy will be easier than managing 16 devices stack...

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cost ?

mmm. thats kind of thing to think

I dont have this written but previous project I developed with Cisco , they recommend maximum 4 switches per stack. It makes much sense for me for two reason: 

Cable lengh

Vlan domain size:  4 switch represents around 250 ports and this is the size of one vlan /24. One IP per device. More or less.  /24 is a very good size for a broadcast domain. 

d.cantele1
Level 1
Level 1

Just because you can isn't always good that you should...

SROD
Level 1
Level 1

Is it me, or are there (6) rack units of space between those (2) switches?

rdvv
Level 1
Level 1

It looks good

sherryvar
Level 1
Level 1

For a switch stack of 8 devices, the below stacking order with the default stack cable length would be possible [S: Switch ; P: Stack port] [cabling from P1 to P2 based on color]

sherryvar_1-1701763976617.png

Welcome to the Project Gallery!

This is a place for Cisco customers and partners to share stories about their technology projects.

Use the comment section to ask a question, make a suggestion or just say well done. If you like a project, thank the author by clicking the Helpful button at the end of the post!

Did you complete a deployment recently? Share your great work with fellow community members! No project is too big or too small.