cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are there any alternatives for the RV34x series now that they are EOL?

vance.price
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the market for a small business VPN router and was really leaning hard toward the RV340 and RV345. After searching and not finding anyone with these in stock, I discovered these RV series routers are end of life and end of sale, and Cisco does not have a replacement product.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/small-business-rv340-rv345-series-eol.html 

What are some good alternatives? I need two offices to have a site to site vpn and will also need some remote workers to have vpn access via a client.

Cisco is kind of leaving us between a rock and a hard place with this.

14 Replies 14

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 

Until Cisco Business Router (currently in development) is released there is no directly comparable replacement for the RV series. Potential alternatives to the RV series would be Meraki MX67/MX67W/GX20/GX20+AP.

Thanks

Nick Iliev
Level 1
Level 1

The problem with Meraki, at least the devices I reviewed as replacement for Cisco SG350XG network switches and now for the RV325 SB router - the web browser based configuration needs always some cloud services, i.e. internet. It some cases, like in our use case, this doesn't work at all. We need to be able to configure the devices also when they are not connected to the internet.
I think we need to opt out to some online shops which still have this router (RV325) available until there is a real replacement for these routers

Firewizz
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem formerly using the RV series but not having a replacement. I do not like meraki because i do not want a cloud managed router and a cloud subscription. 

Is cisco coming with a replacement anytime soon or am I being forced to leave cisco for small business(10users) and home usage?

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

There's several different brands that cater to the smb router market besides cisco that have essentially the same feature set and performance, as well as the little bugs...err...features that these come with.  Some brands are tp-link, zyxel, and others that have been in the networking space but that I don't recall atm (been over a decade since we moved from our original rv016 units).

But this being said, it is also worth the time and investment to look into enterprise offerings that are off-lease or open box new as they are a much more robust product, but can be more complicated as well.  We moved to enterprise routers years ago (decade?) and can't see going back to the smb ones again even though there was a pretty solid learning curve.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

StanislawSB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Any updates?

I have 2 RV320's and 3 RV340's bought TP-Link ER-605 and it seems to do everything I need just as well and was ~$65.

I think the Lynksys LRT224 is the same components as the RV320. Lynksys is owned by Cisco and it came on the market around the time of the RV320. It is still available: https://www.linksys.com/lrt224-dual-wan-business-gigabit-vpn-router/LRT224.html  and has basically the same specs; if you can tolerate the funky form factor. The software is different too and a couple of features are deleted, but the results should be the same.

This is insane. I couldn't believe the price and the features are identical. The only difference is the hardware specs:

1GB Ram on the RV vs 256MB on the TP
256MB Flash on the RV and 128MB Flash on the TP

I will look into TP and NetGear from now on. Have no idea what's wrong with Cisco. When you needed reliability and function, you would hear the name Cisco. Now it's the opposite. Sure they are pushing Meraki series more than ever because of the recurring revenue and software easier to manage but they still need to offer something to small businesses that need reliable no thrills setups.

Nick Iliev
Level 1
Level 1

The problem is that RV325 has 14 LAN ports. None of the other routers mentioned here can replace it

Yea; I was a 320/340 user have 24 port switches.

dummy799
Level 1
Level 1

Nick have you tried eBay? Looks like if you are a patient RV325 can be had for ~$100

I found an online shop which still have RV325 (new), but a replacement router with more ports will be perfect.
We use mainly 10 Gbps switches in our racks, so I don't want to waste them. The RV325 are used mainly for management interfaces like IPMI, and I don't want to put another 1 Gbps switch. From this point of view, the RV325 is/was perfect

byteme
Level 1
Level 1

I was doing some further digging and found some other routers. Anyone have experience with these ones below? They seem to be around the same price. I don't know if these are EOL as well or newer models than RV series. Anyone experts can chime in?

Cisco 4000

Cisco 1000

Cisco 900

Old, EOL