cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you use the device and for how long after EOL?

Bobber
Level 1
Level 1

I posted this question here as it is semi related to the board, but if it isn't please don't delete it or move it.

Hello,

I'm currently writing my diploma work and in the section about current network devices in the "business object" I have a pair of 2951 routers which are approaching EOL. Surprisingly no professor covered this topic during lectures. But what happens when device reaches EOL? Besides the lack of general/security updates, technical support and so on. For how long can the company keep them and use them before problems start occurring? Are they safe and for how long? What are the most common issues after EOL or even more rarer problems?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Honestly if it was as easy as that I wouldn't have asked.

our comments are in generic, in terms of EOL equipment and usage.

The risk is based on industry, if you are high security and sensitive place, we don't even recommend using any EOL/EOS products, they need to be replaced to meet the compliance check.

it should mitigate before the hack vector goes high than sorry.

Note : it all depends on vendor to vendor, where the equipment installed, how exposure  to internet or public network.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

EOL from vendor point of view,. there some stage of after that

1. Vendor start selling.

2. But they do maintain a certain period of time and give support to devices.

3. they do maintain code certain period of time before they announce last day.

For both 2 and 3 vendors give enough time to upgrade or migrate to the new model suggested.

Once there is no support of code and bug fixes, and there is no replacement of device available. (vendor no longer support that model)

But as owner you can use the device until it go dead (until the silicon works till the last minute it works) - business-wise no one takes that risk, personal use since it's not critical you can use as long as it works.

Some businesses do use them and keep spares to replace the devices. (or buy some refurbished till they get new budget to replace)

hope this makes sense?

BB

I need specific examples of risks, like them getting hacked 1 month after EOL, business crippling risk appearing 3 months after EOL. Something more serious than just the general info as that kind of thing won't fly.

our comments are in generic, in terms of EOL equipment and usage.

The risk is based on industry, if you are high security and sensitive place, we don't even recommend using any EOL/EOS products, they need to be replaced to meet the compliance check.

it should mitigate before the hack vector goes high than sorry.

Note : it all depends on vendor to vendor, where the equipment installed, how exposure  to internet or public network.

BB

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You will not experience any problems at all when the device is EOL. It is administrative and or no software updates being available and no support (e.g.). Well no problems at all does not refer to newer  networking functionalities (or standards) which your device may then no longer support. This also applies to security fixes (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Bobber wrote:

Are they safe and for how long?

Safe from what?  

A lot of people do not understand the most basic process to keep their home routers "safe":  Secure the modem with a complex password and patch/update the modem firmware.