Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV042 Router automatically Restart every 1 minutes

Maria Joseph R
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir,

Cisco RV042 Small Business router is automatically Restart every 1 minutes. Kindly give the solution to rectify the problem

Regards,

Maria Joseph. R

75 Replies 75

I only had two of these so it was no big deal to simply replace them with inexpensive ASUS units. I took the two units back to the shop for troubleshooting.
One theory was that this was an attack coming from the WAN side. With that in mind, I fired up the first unit without any WAN or LAN connections. The router *still* rebooted every 1m42s.
This led me to a second theory that someone's figured out how to force a firmware update and has done so with malicious code. If that's so, even a reset won't help. I tried that anyway and would up with a brick.
If it was malicious firmware, then overwriting it with the latest firmware would solve the problem. Of course, the firmware replacement would have to be done in under 1m42s. And that's assuming the malicious firmware hadn't hacked that part of the code. Either way, I now have two bricks.
I'm left thinking that Cisco hasn't responded because the hack is that good: there *is* no solution. Alas!

Seems like a bigger Scheme is going on here, no way that all these devices are doing same thing while working fine not changing anything, the only thing I can think of ISP traffic to router or other entity Hacking or some sort of Traffic that is Crashing these routers.
Might be some back door to kill router to force upgrade to new Routers. its unlikely that the problem all over the sudden started with almost same time frame to all devices.
Doomsday Clock ??

Cisco remaining this quiet is really troubling.

ecar24
Level 1
Level 1

We have 20 rv42g in production, and last week we had to replace 10, this is crazy. we need a solution. 

ecar24
Level 1
Level 1

no solution, I have done several options, but none of them solved the problem:

1. I reinstalled the FW
2. I installed an older FW
3. put the RV in boot mode and re-install with TFTP

None of the above solved the problem. this is very frustrating, I am looking for options to replace 20 Rvs.

ecar24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, any suggestions for a replacement for Rv42 or Rv340?

Regards.

Ecar

Hello, we use Tp Link to replace RV042.

2 models depending on the resources you need:
ER605 (small office) and ER7206 (has 1 FO lan/wan input). 
VPN IPSec Lan to Lan works ok with Forti F60

We have already replaced 8 RV042/g.

I hope the information will serve you, it will depend on which country you are in and the availability of equipment you have.

Hello everyone I found this equipment reference,

Router empresarial Gigabit multi-WAN VPN

TWG-431BR (Version v1.0R
I think it may be a good option. has anyone used it?

Tanks.

IgorOV
Level 1
Level 1

it seems Cisco company died....  they dont answer anything

Mike Cisco User
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 RV042 in use.  #1 (firm v4.2.3.07 10/8/2015) Started the problem a month ago.....rebooting every 1.5 minutes. #2 & #3 (firm not known at this time) are working fine at this time.   Replaced #1 with another RV042 (firm v4.2.3.14 5/28/2020) and is working fine at this time.  I'm wondering if Cisco has sent a bullet to disable these units.  Kinda like when Adobe sent a bullet to kill Adobe Player in everybody's computers.

jcarlos medrano
Level 1
Level 1

hi ihave the same problemi have25 rv042 and 8 rv082 whit this problem  i need a fix please

Mike Cisco User
Level 1
Level 1

i spoke too soon....another one bites the dust!  Can't communicate with it.  Have not tried a factory default reset yet.

joviano marchi
Level 1
Level 1

hi ihave the same problemi have 27 rv042 and 7 whit this problem  i need a fix please

Mike Cisco User
Level 1
Level 1

I've opened a ticket with Cisco for one of my RV042...No action yet.  I am switching my Routers to SonicWall TZ270 and TZ370  They should be in sometime this week.