cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Mode in RV042G

sp1152211811
Level 1
Level 1

Is there documentation on setting the RV042G to Router Mode and what that changes to it's topography?  The manual simply tells us to click the button to change the mode?!?!? A 4th grader could figure that out - but what does it do to the unit?  Does it basically become a glorified switch with an internet connection?  Can the 2nd WAN port be used as a switch node?  Is there a white paper somewhere that gives this info?  I've looked for hours.

2 Replies 2

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi sp1152211811, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. As you know this router has 2 different modes, "Router" and "NAT or Gateway".

Router mode is used when the router exists on a network with other routers, and another router acts as the network gateway to the Internet. Basically it disable the NAT  feature and in this way the router could   route packets using “RIP”

NAT or Gateway mode is used when the router is hosting your network’s connection to the Internet. This is the default setting, this mode translate the incoming/outcoming packets to public/private addresses.

Basically the main ideas is, is your need a router connected directly from the ISP internet you need to keep it default, if the router is not a gateway you need to configure it as router in order to interact to the gateway and the rest of the devices.

About your question regarding WAN2, this port just can be configured as "WAN2" or "DMZ".

Also you could see more information in the admin guide “Configuring Dynamic Routing” section here.

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

hi Jonathan,

pls help me config router RV042G replace DSL modem to connect directly ISP, i had static ip so :118.69.aa.bb.

tks.